About the lab
VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, currently encompassing more than 900 scientists located in 5 partner universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position at VIB is intended to run spatial biology bio-informatics services in close collaboration with KU Leuven and the European Spatial Biology Center (ESBC NV). The ESBC has recently kick-started as a service provider for spatial biology technologies at scale, by offering services to large-scale projects and providing key biological insights to its customers.
To strengthen the spatial biology services in Leuven, VIB wishes to recruit an enthusiastic and energetic bioinformatician in Spatial Biology. In this role, you will be managing and critically analysing large spatial biology data sets to generate novel biological insights and develop new analysis tools when needed, mostly for industrial (and academic) clients.
- Implement data analysis pipelines (using currently available data analytics and visualisation tools or when required by creating new tools) for spatial biology data. The first implementation will be in the context of single-cell spatial transcriptomics
- Set up data quality standards and perform data quality checks for customer projects
- Understand the scientific questions posed by the customer and develop new analysis tools to provide solutions to go from data to novel biological insights
- Set up the data analysis infrastructure (both software and hardware)
- Manage large data sets and maintain data integrity
We are looking for a bioinformatician who is, well-organized and dynamic with a high level of independence and creative thinking:
- Ph.D. degree in Bioinformatics / Computational Biology / Computer Science or a related field
- A broad bioinformatics experience in next-generation sequencing technologies and/or spatial biology technologies, and (statistical) data analysis
- Experience with image analysis is preferred
- Working proficiency in popular programming languages such as R or Python or a suitable and scalable language
- Experienced in handling and managing the analysis of large datasets
- Experienced in building bioinformatics tools ground-up
- Knowledge of computing environments, cloud-based solutions, and hardware specifications to manage data would be advantageous
- Team player who likes to work in a multidisciplinary (international) team
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Organized and respecting deadlines
- Desire and willingness to work at the interface of industry and academia
- Full-time employment for an indefinite period
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A stimulating (international, multidisciplinary) environment at the interface of industry and academia, where agility, quality, professionalism, and team spirit are encouraged
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact, state-of-the-art projects
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic team making a meaningful contribution to science
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.