VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to VIB success. VIB has about 1500 researchers and is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders, Belgium.
The VIB Core Facilities Program constitutes the centralized scientific research infrastructure of the institute and allows scientists access to high-end and innovative technologies. The VIB Core Facilities Program comprises 10 state-of-the-art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on one of the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven or Brussels (https://vibcoreprogram.sites.vib.be/en).
The VIB Nanobody Core (https://nanobodycore.sites.vib.be/en) is a Core facility of VIB, based at Vrije Universiteit Brussel. The VIB Nanobody Core focuses on the generation, characterization, and engineering of the camelid-derived single-domain antibodies (VHHs), termed Nanobodies®. The Nanobodies generated by VIB Nanobody Core are further developed, together with various research groups and pharma partners, as research tools, diagnostics, therapeutics, etc. The numerous past and present partnerships with pharma and world top research groups are testimony to the recognition of VIB Nanobody Core as a world leader in the Nanobody® field.
To support our activities, we are looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, and dynamic candidate who is familiar with molecular biological techniques. You will assist in:
- The generation and screening of phage display Nanobody libraries.
- Cloning, engineering, expression and purification of Nanobodies.
- Characterization of Nanobodies (e.g., by ELISA, FACS, SPR).
- The day-to-day functioning of the lab.
- Bachelor or Master degree or equivalent in Biology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering.
- At least 5 years of experience with molecular biological techniques. This can be DNA manipulation (cloning, PCR, …) or protein manipulation (production, analysis, etc.), and includes at least knowledge of working with bacteria.
- Team player but also capable of handling tasks independently.
- Strong sense of responsibility and eager to learn new concepts and techniques, flexible in working hours.
- Basic IT skills and ability to work with Office software, DNA and protein analysis software.
- Good command of English, both oral and written.
- Experience in Antibody / Nanobody generation, identification, characterization, engineering, expression & purification, flow cytometry is not a prerequisite but is a plus.
- Individuals with industrial (biotech / pharma) experience are highly recommended to apply.
We offer an exciting and international work environment, excellent training courses, a renewable contract, and a competitive salary and benefits.
How to apply?
Please send us a letter of interest describing your motivation to apply for this job, your CV and the coordinates of at least 2 references.