VIB is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University. VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research (IRC) aims at unravelling the mechanisms of immunity and inflammation for better prevention and therapy of human chronic disease. Several high-end core facilities support and improve the research activities.
As a full stack developer you will analyze the workflows and the associated tooling needs of the general services of VIB-IRC (such as Finance, HR, e.g.) and prioritize, design, develop and implement the necessary tooling and (web applicative) solutions. You will also play a key role in mapping the existing tools and advising possible optimizations.
- Design, develop and enhance full stack web applications
- Develop and integrate new features into existing web portals
- Integrate, coordinate and federate web tools with other external teams and departments
- Upgrade existing web application stacks to their latest releases
- Migrate web applications to new server rollouts
- Manage, extend and optimize existing SQL databases
- Design, create and maintain new databases
- You are a full stack developer, with a strong interest in building user-friendly but
- performant and secure web applications.
- A strong interest in appealing visual design, with attention to user experience.
- Must have:
- Proficient in object-oriented PHP as backend language via the MVC paradigms
- Basic knowledge of databases (PostgreSQL, MariaDB/MySQL, ...)
- Basic knowledge of webservers (Apache, Nginx, ...)
- Understanding the design principles behind scalable and reliable applications
- Distributed code management using git as version control system
- Nice to have:
- Knowledge of any of UI/front-end frameworks (Bootstrap, Tailwind, Vue, Svelte,…)
- Strong interest in open source (software)
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with the Laravel (PHP framework) ecosystem
- Experience with other programming languages (Bash, Python, Golang, ...) and technologies (Redis, Beanstalkd, (REST) API’s, …)
- Knowledge of Oracle PL/SQL and Oracle APEX
- Knowledge of scientific environment and tools
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite to support research and operations at VIB.
- You have a strong analytical and problem-solving mindset.
- You can work independently, and are energized by thinking proactively and out-of-the-box
- You have already proven to be a strong communicator
- You will play a key role in the optimization of the tooling of VIB-IRC, and more broadly cross-departmental.
- You will get a warm welcome in a fantastic team.
- You will be part of a sustainable and scientific organization with a multinational character.
- You will receive a competitive salary package with extralegal benefits.