The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) in Ghent, Belgium, is a world leading institute in plant sciences. We are currently looking for a full-time statistician in support of the research activities in our Center. We are looking for an enthusiastic colleague, eager to help researchers needing statistical support in their projects. Good communication skills are a must. Our ideal candidate has a sound and broad knowledge of statistics at both the conceptual and applied level, a sharp mind, good organizational skills and an interest in plant science.
Tasks will include help in designing experiments, analysis of data, advising researchers on which statistical analysis methods to use, organizing workshops, and help in drafting scientific publications.
- Master of statistics or Master in statistical data analysis with preferably a background in molecular biology, biotechnology or related field.
- Broad knowledge of applied statistics: linear mixed models (clustered and longitudinal data), Poisson regression, logistic regression, sample size calculations, multivariate data analysis (PCA, MDS, clustering), nonparametric methods
- Experience with –omics data is an asset.
- Programming skills in both SAS and/or R/Bioconductor.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, being able to explain complex statistics to those with little or no background in statistics.
- Teaching skills.
- Understand relevant scientific literature and apply knowledge gained from these sources.
- Able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Full-time employment with long term perspectives.
- An exciting, dynamic work environment with ongoing opportunities for learning.
- A team of bioinformaticians and a biostatistician and close collaborations with experimental scientists.
We hope to fill the vacant position as soon as possible. More information on this position can be obtained from Dr. Véronique Storme (email@example.com).
How to apply?
If you are interested, please apply online. Please attach a motivation letter and your CV including diplomas and certificates. Applications by email will not be considered. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been identified.