VIB-KULeuven is an exciting, interdisciplinary research institute with excellent facilities and leading research groups in e.g. oncology, genetics/-omics, molecular biology and translational research.
The VIB Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) is one of the research departments of VIB at KU Leuven and is located at Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven. CCB hosts 11 research groups and 1 Metabolomics Core facility, with an employment of about 200 researchers, administrative and technical collaborators. The focus of the Center is to unravel the molecular basis of cancer, and whenever suitable, exploit these insights to develop novel therapeutic or diagnostic strategies. The center uses state-of-the-art high throughput sequencing and metabolomics technologies to characterize tumor samples.
The center is currently looking for a dynamic and highly motivated Scientist in Bioinformatics. You will be working in the Laboratory for Translational Genetics
( https://www.vibcancer.be/diether-lambrechts ), which is interested in discovering genetic and epigenetic mechanisms that underlie cancer development or contribute to therapeutic resistance of human cancers.
We aim for a fundamental understanding of malignant processed, as well as a therapeutic impact. To achieve these goals, we are relying on experimental models of human cancer, cancer patient samples and advanced high-throughput sequencing techniques. Our research which is strongly driven by next-generation sequencing technologies is funded by the ERC, the VIB and other local charities and funding agencies.
The candidate will perform informatics to solve biological questions and will be involved in:
- Building and applying bioinformatics pipelines in order to analyze high-throughput sequencing data such as whole-genome, whole-exome, methylation and RNA data;
- Guiding biologists in analyzing their own data and performing statistical tests and pathway analysis;
- Exploring public available databases;
- Working with and managing big data;
- The creative visualization of the results;
- Using and maintaining high performance computing clusters.
- You have obtained a Masters degree in bioengineering, computer science, (bio)informatics, mathematics or related field;
- You have good communication skills and can work easily together with other (international) team members;
- You have a passion for bioinformatics and the motivation to work on innovative and ambitious projects in an open, dynamic and skilled research team;
- You have experience with Linux systems, bash, R, and statistics;
- Experience with high-performance computing, (multivariate) statistics, data analysis, Bayesian statistics, machine learning, data visualization and big data management are an important asset;
- Knowledge of Linux, databases, BioConductor, Python or related programming languages and basic system administration skills are considered a plus;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- A fascinating work environment in which quality, professionalism and social contact are encouraged;
- The possibility to be at the start of a scientifically cutting-edge and society relevant project;
- The opportunity to contribute to the biological validation of your own research findings.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include:
- A detailed CV, including a list of your scientific publications
- An elaborate cover letter describing your motivation
- The contact information of 3 referees
Applications sent by email will not be considered. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org