We are looking for a highly motivated and talented postdoctoral researcher, specialized in comparative genomics and sequence analysis. In your role, you will work on exciting research projects – you will be directly collaborating with our team of wet-lab scientists who are generating novel data (whole-genome sequences, RNAseq transcriptome data, Illumina, 454, PacBio,…). These collaborations also allow your computational results to be experimentally validated.
Who we are:
- The lab for Systems Biology of Kevin Verstrepen is a research team at VIB & University of Leuven. Our team focuses on genomics, genetics, epigenetics, transcriptomics and evolution, using yeast as a model. We combine wet-lab and computational research to investigate how biological systems work and evolve.
- The lab is located at Leuven University, one of the oldest and most prominent universities in Europe, consistently ranked within the top 50 worldwide universities. Leuven is located 10 miles from Brussels, with frequent direct train connections to Brussels airport.
Example publications include: (names in bold are bio-informaticians from our group):
Gallone B, Steensels J, Prahl T, Soriaga L, Saels V, Herrera-Malaver B, Merlevede A, Roncoroni M, Voordeckers K, Miraglia L, Teiling C, Steffy B, Taylor M, Schwartz A, Richardson T, White C, Baele G, Maere S, Verstrepen KJ. Cell (2016).
Gallone B, Mertens S, Gordon JL, Maere S, Verstrepen KJ, Steensels J.
Curr Opin Biotechnol. (2017).
Voordeckers K, Kominek J, Das A, Espinosa-Cantú A, De Maeyer D, Arslan A, Van Pee M, van der Zande E, Meert W, Yang Y, Zhu B, Marchal K, DeLuna A, Van Noort V, Jelier R, Verstrepen KJ. PLoS Genetics (2015)
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact research topics
- Fulltime appointment as postdoctoral fellow at VIB / KU Leuven, a highly-ranked research institute with competitive payscale and benefits (health insurance, sports facilities,... )
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment (with English as main language)
- Various training opportunities within VIB and KU Leuven to broaden your expertise and skills
- State-of-the art infrastructure
- Job is available immediately, starting date is negotiable
- You have a PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computational Biology, (Bio)-Engineering or related.
- You have a strong research output (peer-reviewed publications)
- You have hands-on experience with or a strong interest in bioinformatics programming, including linux, scripting) and R
- You have experience with the analysis of next-generation sequence data such as whole-genome sequencing, CNV, Structural variation and RNA- Seq.
- You are fluent in English, for both written and oral communication
- You are enthused about scientific research and have a strong interest in studying biology using genomics and systems biology approaches.
- You must have good, open communication skills and be willing to collaborate with multiple other researchers from our team.
How to obtain more information and apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Applicants are invited to send their CV (including a list of your scientific publications) and motivation letter. For every formal application, please arrange for at least 2 letters of reference sent to Kevin Verstrepen (direct email from mentor to Kevin) - Tel : +32 (0)16/751393.
More information: http://www.kuleuven.be/verstrepen