VIB is a non-profit life sciences research institute located in Flanders, Belgium. About 1,450 scientists and technicians conduct basic research on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms. Through a close partnership with all Flemish universities and a solid funding program, VIB unites the forces of 75 research groups clustered in 8 research centers. The corner stone of VIB’s policy is excellence, as well in science as in technology transfer. The goal of the research is to move forward the boundaries of our knowledge of life profoundly. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB wants to convert research results into products for the benefit of consumers and patients. VIB develops and disseminates a wide range of scientifically substantiated information about biotechnology.
The University of Antwerp is a young, dynamic and forward-thinking Belgian university. Every day, more than 5000 employees' efforts ensure that innovative education is provided to over 20.000 students, that ground-breaking fundamental and applied research is conducted and that the university is able to play its important role as a service provider in society. Striving for international excellence, the University of Antwerp is a true research university, with a particularly strong expertise in the following key areas of biomedical research: Neuro and cardiovascular sciences; Biological Imaging, Infectious Diseases and Drug Discovery and Development.
The University of Antwerp and VIB are currently seeking outstanding candidates (m/f) to fill the position of SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR/RESEARCH PROFESSOR for the VIB Research Center at the University of Antwerp.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology has a longstanding tradition of integrating expertise in molecular genetics and clinical medicine to analyse aging-related genetic diseases. The current focus of the research center is on neurodegeneration, more specifically, Alzheimer’s disease, frontotemporal lobar degeneration, and peripheral sensory and motoric neuropathies. The overall objectives of the Center are to enhance the understanding of the biology of the nervous system during healthy aging and to unravel the molecular aetiology of aging related neurological diseases. The key goal is to gain a holistic view of the disease processes and to create effective translational pipelines and potential therapies that are specifically tailored to well-characterized patient groups.
VIB and the UAntwerp are seeking to recruit a new director to provide the Research Center with a renewed vision. The focus will be on the use of Genetics and Genomics to unravel the molecular mechanisms of life in health versus disease. Preference goes to genetics and genomics in neurodegeneration, the current strength of the research center, but candidates with expertise in the genetics and genomics in other focus areas of the UA are also welcomed to apply.
VIB and UAntwerp are in search for a dynamic, internationally recognized leader in genetics and genomics to inspire and lead the VIB research centre at the University of Antwerp. The selected candidate will be appointed as scientific director at VIB and will have a research professor appointment (ZAPBOF) as (full) professor at the University of Antwerp.
The scientific director/research professor will provide vision and leadership to the research centre, with responsibility for:
- developing the scientific strategy of the research centre and its future mission
- creating a stimulating environment and dialectic culture, which fosters talent and triggers excellence
- organizing and managing the research centre in terms of science, tech transfer, logistics, finance and human talent
It is expected that the scientific director/research professor will maintain active interest in leading an independent research lab (for which significant long term support will be provided). The scientific director/research professor will be a member of the VIB management committee in which he/she has co-responsibility for the overall success of VIB.
The successful candidates for the position of scientific director/research professor:
- have a PhD degree and are expected to be experienced visionary scientists, widely recognized in their academic field, who have demonstrated a strong record of scientific publications in leading scientific journals in the field. They will continue their own research program at VIB/UAntwerp.
- rank as (full) professor with - preferentially - a track record of management in universities or research institutions.
- have an extensive international network with a wide scope of research collaborations.
- have excellent communication and negotiating skills and have a strong will for developing a common vision and purpose for VIB and their own research centre.
- by preference, have experience with technology transfer and science policy.
Lecturing may become part of the job description in the long(er) term.
The total VIB/UAntwerp package consists of:
(a) an appointment as (full) professor in a tenured position within the faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences. In the case of a first appointment at UAntwerp, the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. After a favourable performance assessment in the position of research professor, the position will become tenured.
(b) personal: • a competitive salary commensurate with experience, • total social security, including pension scheme and health care program
(c) own research group: • start-up package, • funding of your own research group with 5-10 positions, • access to the VIB core facilities: (deep)sequencing, transcriptomics, proteomics, antibody and protein production, bio-imaging, NMR, compound screening, bio-informatics training facility (see www.vib.be)
(d) research centre grant: • solid funding of the research centre, subject to excellent performance with quinquennial reviews.
The date of appointment will be as soon as possible.
How to apply?
- Candidates who are interested in this position are asked to send a complete CV, publication list, vision text (max. 5000 words) and 3 letters of reference to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Closing date for applications is 31 March 2018.
- Further information on www.vib.be, www.molgen.vib-ua.be and www.uantwerpen.be
- Further information about the profile and the description of duties can be obtained from Jo Bury, managing director VIB (+32 92446611 – firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. Dr. Ronny Blust, Vice-Rector for Research of the University of Antwerp (+32 485028317 - email@example.com).
- Further information regarding the terms of appointment can be obtained from Marijke Lein - HR director of VIB (+32 92446611) or Sien Geysen– HR business partner of the University of Antwerp (+32 3 265 31 44).