About Aelin Therapeutics
Aelin Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical VIB start-up company that has secured a 27 M€ investment to pioneer peptide-based novel modalities to create a powerful first-in-class antibiotics and agents against high-value undruggable human targets.
The technology, branded Pept-ins™, harnesses the power of protein aggregation to induce specific functional knockdown of a target protein. It is based on the ground-breaking work of structural biologists Prof Joost Schymkowitz and Prof Frederic Rousseau (KU Leuven). The Pept-in™ technology allows for the rational design of novel peptide-based therapeutics and differentiates itself from other therapeutic modalities through its unique mode of action, its designability and broad target space.
Aelin Therapeutics is now recruiting to build a motivated and innovative team to realise the therapeutic potential of Pept-ins. For more information please visit www.aelintx.com.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor or Masters degree in life sciences, with practical experience in setting up and running microbiological assays for the evaluation and screening of bacteriostatic or bactericidal compounds. Additional skills in mammalian cell culture and mammalian assays will be of benefit. Experience in working as a research scientist in biotechnology and/or drug discovery in the pharmaceutical industry is desirable.
The role is primarily based in the laboratory, and mainly involves the hands-on characterisation and in vitro evaluation of bactericidal peptidic lead molecules during early drug discovery. The candidate should work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic and exciting start-up environment.
- Compound screening and characterisation, feeding back into the lead optimisation cycle
- Characterisation of compounds with a variety of in vitro biochemical and cellular assays
- Upkeep of internal microbiological facility
- QC, record-keeping
- Coordination with external partners to augment internal capabilities as needed
- Present work summaries, document work for archival, write SOPs
- Experience in setting up and running quantitative and kinetic microbiological viability assays. Determination of MICs/MBCs of novel peptide compounds, using a variety of gram-negative (pathogenic) bacterial strains
- Experience with high throughput assays for compound profiling, ideally in a drug discovery setting
- Performing and designing experiments independently to drive drug development progression
- Hands-on working knowledge with a range of in vitro biochemical and cellular techniques desirable, i.e. mammalian cell assays for pharmacological profiling
- Proficiency in data processing and analysis
- Troubleshoot and problem solve on an independent basis
- Excellent written and oral skills (including English)
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An entrepreneurial and stimulating working environment in an ambitious start-up biotech
- Excellent career development opportunity, with exposure to all aspects of R&D in the company
Do you have the right qualifications, a bright mind, sharp instincts, collaborative spirit, and innovative vision and are you interested in joining our entrepreneurial team? Then forward a short motivation letter and your CV.
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply online.