The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research in Leuven is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the Gasthuisberg campus of the KUL. At our Center, 250 researchers study the basic mechanisms of the central nervous system and related diseases.
The Goodchild Lab is looking for a fulltime, highly motivated and dedicated research technician to work in our research team and act as our lab manager. The laboratory uses cells, mice and flies to determine the underlying pathology of the neurological disease of dystonia. Experience with one of these research organisms is preferred.
Techniques used in the lab include mammalian cell culturing, histology, qPCR, DNA molecular biology techniques like Gibson and Gateway cloning, DNA sequence analysis, quantitative assays, Western blotting, antibody staining, and protein expression. Training is available, although the ideal candidate will already have experience with several standard techniques.
S/he will be responsible to manage the Laboratory, including lab supplies stock-keeping and ordering, organizing reagents, knowledge of basic equipment, liaison with managers of other labs and personnel in central support, mentoring newcomers and biosafety management.
English is the everyday language in the laboratory. Dutch speaking and writing are also a strong plus.
- You possess at the minimum a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master/Engineer) or equivalent.
- 3+ years of full time laboratory experience
- Motivation to hold a position with autonomy and responsibility
- You must be meticulous, proactive, independent and self-motivated.
- You have excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Strong managing skills to combine lab organization with technical work.
- You are eager to expand your skills in new technologies.
- You like to work in a team, you are passionate about science and enthusiastic to be part of a dynamic research lab.
- You are fluent in written and spoken English
Desirable but not required
- Previous experience as a Lab Manager is a plus (but not required).
- A FELASA B license for animal work is an advantage, or experience with fruit fly genetics
- Proficiency in Dutch
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Learn new techniques and tools
- A stimulating international research environment
- Competitive salary and benefits – commensurate with experience
- Open-ended contract
- Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a short motivation letter describing previous research experience and the names and contact information of 3 references. Interested candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be welcome until the position is filled.
For more information: please contact Rose Goodchild
For extra information: