The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics and bio-computing to unravel the biology of plants and to further explore the potential of plants to build a sustainable world.
The bioinformatics research groups at PSB develop novel software and web tools for the integration of large-scale data sets in the area of genomics, transcriptomics and phenomics for which an extensive computational infrastructure is available on site.
The Applied Bioinformatics & Biostatistics group (ABB) in PSB enables wetlab scientists to perform everyday bioinformatic analyses through a user-friendly Galaxy interface, provide expertise to tackle custom data and statistical analysis and offers consultancy and training.
In order to strengthen the synergy between wet-lab and bioinformatics within PSB, and to support the use of bioinformatics approaches by scientists, PSB is looking for an Bioinformatician.
- You will become the central contact person for our researchers regarding bioinformatics inquiries.
- You will help researchers to perform analyses, by helping them or by doing the analysis yourself or redirect them to the appropriate experts.
- You assist in standardizing computational analysis work in PSB to enable researchers to perform these standard analyses themselves.
- You will need to set up (online) tutorials and training courses for bioinformatics tools and basic statistics tools, targeted to the specific questions and data for our lab (transcriptomics, ChIP-seq, mapping by sequencing, clustering, data mining, etc.). You will also be in charge of an inventory of frequent bioinformatics and biostatistics problems/questions and their solutions to guide researchers.
- As the portfolio of analyses is broad, you will also act as a facilitator to redirect questions and requests to the relevant persons within PSB and specifically the bioinformatics and ABB group.
- Master or PhD in computational biology, bioinformatics, bioscience engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience in bioinformatics is a must
- Experience with analysis of sequencing based data is a plus
- Experience in programming (e.g. Python, R, …) is a plus
- Experience with statistical analysis is a plus
- Experience in working with unix and a compute cluster is a plus
- You are an excellent communicator
- You have good social and teaching skills
- You have a solution-oriented and positive attitude
- You have a community spirit
- Good at Coordinating and organizing tasks
- Fluent in English
- A challenging and stimulating work environment, with real-world data with state-of-the art technologies
- Start date: as soon as possible
- Duration: contract of indeterminate duration
- International environment in an academic context