The Laboratory for the Research of Neurodegenerative Diseases, headed by Prof. Bart De Strooper, is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to investigate the blood brain barrier in the context of Alzheimer and Parkinson disease and to lead our effort to develop Nanobodies (camelid antibody fragments) and other means to transfer therapeutics over the blood brain barrier. This project is at the cross over between basic science and translational research.
We are looking for a dynamic and ambitious scientist with experience in blood brain barrier studies. He/she will develop an in depth scientific research question with regard to how the BBB is affected in AD by using in vivo and in vitro modelling approaches involving iPS cells and nanotechnology. She/he will also be involved in setting up an innovative screening platform to develop clinically relevant Nanobodies that can be used as Trojan horses to shuttle therapeutics over the BBB. The work will be done in the context of "mission lucidity", a large collaborative project between IMEC, KU Leuven, UZ Leuven and VIB to tackle neurodegenerative diseases.
- A Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Cell biology, neurosciences or a related field
- Effective written and verbal English communication skills
- Understanding of and preferably hands on experience with the blood brain barrier
- Experience with standard cell biology and molecular biology techniques
- Ability to independently generate precise, reliable data and interpret them
- Innovative and creative personality
- Hands-on attitude
- Leadership capacities
- Good publication record
Desirable but not required:
- Experience with project management
- Experience with industrial collaborations
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and possibility to invest in new infrastructure as needed
- A stimulating, diverse international research environment in a world-class academic laboratory
- Given the substantial translational track in this project: coaching and support from our industry experts at VIB Discovery Sciences
- Animal models, patient material, expertise in neurodegenerative disorders
- Start date: as soon as possible - the position is immediately available
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a short motivation letter describing previous research experience and the names and contact information of 3 references. Interested candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be welcome until the position is filled.
For more information: please contact Bart De Strooper.
For extra information: