The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is located in Leuven, Belgium, and part of VIB and the University of Leuven (KU Leuven). With more than 300 people working in 17 labs, we study the brain in health and disease. Our research focuses on disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, frontotemporal dementia and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), but also basic research questions relating the cellular heterogeneity of the brain, brain wiring and synapse biology. These studies are integrated with immunology and studies on protein aggregation and amyloid toxicity.
Within our Center, we are seeking a highly motivated Single Cell Bioinformatics Specialist. You will collaborate with the 17 research groups within the Center and provide essential input on computational biology aspects of their research projects. In this job you will be confronted with exciting research questions in neurobiology and neurodegeneration; and with a broad spectrum of computational challenges and single-cell omics data sets. You will work closely with in the Laboratory of Computational Biology (Stein Aerts Lab) and with the single cell expertise unit (Suresh Poovathingal) and you will be part of an active bioinformatics community in Leuven, allowing daily interactions with colleague bioinformaticians.
- MSc or PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Engineering, Life sciences or computational field
- Experience with the analysis of high-throughput data, including transcriptomics, genomics, and single-cell RNA-seq data is required
- Solid experience with Linux, software development, database management, statistics, Python and R
- Thorough understanding of molecular and developmental biology, and of disease biology (preferably in neurological disorders)
Desirable but not required:
- Knowledge of machine learning is a plus
Key personal characteristics:
- You have a scientific attitude.
- You are meticulous, proactive and can easily adapt to changing circumstances.
- You are endowed with a positive, communicative and social personality.
- You have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- You are eager to expand your skills in new technologies.
- You are a team player who is passionate about science and enthusiastic to be part of a dynamic research center.
- The ability to develop yourself further as an expert in single cell bioinformatics
- The ability to work on high impact, state-of-the-art projects
- A stimulating and social international research environment with world-class science
- An open-ended contract with competitive salary and benefits
- Relocation support possible for international applicants
How to apply?
Start date: The position is immediately available and will be allocated as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online and are invited to send their CV (including a list of your scientific publications, and the names and contact information of 3 references) as well as a cover letter describing your motivation, previous research experience and background. Please provide also a track record of previous coding work, e.g. include your github web address.
Top-ranked candidates will be invited for an interview in Leuven.
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds and minorities to apply.
For additional information concerning this job please contact Prof. Stein Aerts.
More information on the Center: