VIB is a life sciences research institute, based in Flanders, Belgium. We perform basic research with a strong focus on translating scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB is an independent research institute of the government, with 1470 scientists from more than 60 countries working at KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, UGent, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Hasselt University.
The VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology (CMB) focuses on the development of new and innovative molecular tools and technologies to challenge human health problems. The Center translates its novel technologies and insights to widely applicable research tools, vaccines, diagnostics and biopharmaceuticals Our research pushes the boundaries of protein-focused biomolecular and bioinformatics research and engineering technologies.
The research team of Sven Eyckerman is implementing and developing novel technologies to study protein complexes in mammalian cells. These novel approaches support other research groups within the Center for Medical Biotechnology, within VIB and within Ghent University.
More recently, the group started using genome engineering as an enabling technology, not only to generate accurate disease models, but also to introduce sequences that allow detailed protein complex analysis. In this project we will combine the latest CRISPR-Cas tools to introduce innovative tags in endogenous proteins. These tags will then be used to quantify and purify the endogenous protein complex. The project is in collaboration with the MeBIOS lab of Jeroen Lammertyn in Leuven. MeBIOS will provide essential microfluidics expertise to support single cell measurements.
During your PhD you will learn basic and advanced cell culture procedures, basic and advanced molecular biology skills, CRISPR-Cas9 genome engineering of human cell lines, proteomics workflows for analysis of protein complexes, data analysis, and you will obtain a solid background in mass spectrometry and microfluidics.
- We are looking for a Master in biotechnology or a related area with interest in cell biology and molecular biology.
- You are motivated, dynamic and you report carefully.
- You are able to work independently in an accurate manner.
- You are also a team player with good communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of English is required.
- Please also note that you should be eligible to obtain a grant with the FWO:
- An excellent opportunity to work in a stimulating environment where the newest developments in protein complex analysis and genome engineering are actively pursued.
- VIB has excellent training programs that allow further development of technical, soft and informatics skills.
- An exciting conferences program further supports the international environment of VIB.
- A salary will be provided for a period of 4 years. A personal grant of 4 years for this PhD work will also be pursued (see profile).
How to apply?
Interested? Contact Sven Eyckerman for more information. Please apply online and upload your resume and motivation letter. Also provide the name and contact details of two references.
Check out other PhD projects in our Center on http://mbc.vib-ugent.be