The VIB‐VUB Center for Structural Biology is part of the VIB life sciences institute and is embedded within the Vrije Universiteit Brussel. As part of our major investments to address new challenges in Systems Structural Biology, we seek to appoint creative individuals at the junior or senior level to build independent teams and broaden our research and technology landscape:
- Groupleader in cryo‐electron tomography to strengthen our Bio Electron Cryogenic Microscopy center
- Groupleader in computational biology, chemical biology or network dynamics to build a team converging on synthetic biology or protein signalling cascades
- Groupleader in cellular biology / microbiology focusing on bacterial host‐pathogen interactions
- an exciting and international research environment with committed peers.
- an internationally attractive employment package commensurate with experience and including a pension scheme and health care program.
- a start‐up budget and funding for a research group ranging from 1‐2 positions (junior group leaders) to 3‐5 positions (group leaders)
- stable working conditions with a guaranteed term of 5 years for junior group leaders and open ended contracts subject to excellent performance with quinquennial reviews for senior group leader
- access to the departmental and institutional core facilities including X‐ray crystallography Cryo‐EM, Bio‐NMR, Nanobody discovery, (deep)sequencing, transcriptomics, proteomics antibody and protein production, bio‐imaging, compound screening, bio‐informatics training facility, metabolomics and FACS suite.
About the Center for Structural Biology and VIB
The VIB‐VUB Center for Structural Biology is a centre of excellence in structural biology that is recognized worldwide for its scientific work, for the technologies it develops, and for the spin‐offs it creates. We study the structure and dynamics of macromolecular complexes in health and disease to explain their mode of action. We integrate our structural biology work with genetic and cellular studies, aiming to bridge molecular and cellular resolution. Thematically, the center focusses on protein signalling cascades and bacterial host‐pathogen interactions. We excel in translating our discoveries into biotechnological and medical applications. We take pride in training the next generation of scientists.
VIB is a non‐profit life sciences research institute located in Flanders, Belgium. About 1,450 scientists and technicians conduct basic research on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms. Through a close partnership with all Flemish universities and a solid funding program, VIB unites the forces of 75 research groups clustered in 8 research centers. The corner stone of VIB’s policy is excellence, as well in science as in technology transfer. The goal of the research is to move forward the boundaries of our knowledge of life profoundly. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB wants to convert research results into products for the benefit of consumers and patients. VIB develops and disseminates a wide range of scientifically substantiated information about biotechnology.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online before June 15.