VIB is an excellence-based life sciences research institute based in Flanders, Belgium. With more than 1300 highly-qualified scientists, VIB focuses on translating basic research results into applications which improve our quality of life.
The VIB Nucleomics Core (NC) is embedded within the Leuven Gasthuisberg campus. The mission of the NC is to support the life science community (VIB, academic institutions, and industry) by providing expert services in the field of next generation sequencing (NGS), including bioinformatics support. On top of in-house centralized sophisticated and expensive state-of-the-art platforms, NC also offers access to an additional set of platform technologies through the Core for Life network.
To support the wet-lab activities of the core, we are currently looking for a fulltime, highly motivated and dedicated technician. We offer an exciting work environment, excellent training courses, an open-ended contract, and competitive salary and benefits.
- You independently execute routine workflows
- Together with other lab technicians from the NC you provide support in method development and interpretation of results
- You improve techniques/workflows by yourself in consultation with the team
- You summarize analyses and interpret data in order to draw conclusions
- You prepare and write technical reports to record data and/or results
- You follow general lab policies, SOP’s and other applicable guidelines
- You possess a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Bachelor/Master/Engineer) or equivalent by training/experience
- First professional experience in a similar job is required
Desirable but not required:
- Experience with DNA/RNA quality control and NGS library preparation workflows is a plus, but not needed
Key personal characteristics:
- You have well-developed analytical skills and you are meticulous, proactive, and results-oriented with an eye for detail
- You can work in an organized and structured way
- You have a positive attitude and excellent interpersonal communication skills
- You have a strong sense of responsibilities and are eager to expand your skills in new technologies
- Good knowledge, orally and in writing of Dutch and English is required
- A challenging job in a stimulating international scientific environment
- You become part of a very dynamic, growing team in a highly innovative environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure in the field of NGS
- You will learn new techniques and tools
- You will have freedom to shape your work and shape your job
- Your input is highly appreciated
- Open-ended contract
- Competitive salary and benefits – commensurate with experience
- Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Please send us a short letter describing previous experience and your motivations to apply for this job, a full curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least 2 references. Interested candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be welcome until the position is filled.
For more information: please contact Stefaan Derveaux.