VIB is an authority in translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies. VIB is an entrepreneurial research institute and consists of over 1500 scientists, and is ranked in the top rankings globally based on scientific impact.
VIB’s second mission is to translate these scientific breakthroughs into applications for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and agricultural industries. VIB’s Innovation and Business team has been highly successful in this regard and the entrepreneurial approach has resulted in the creation of innovative start-up companies and high value therapeutic licensed products.
VIB Discovery Sciences consists of a team of senior industry-trained technical scientists with significant expertise in drug discovery biology and has access to a comprehensive technology infrastructure. The team is fully embedded in the VIB Innovation and Business team (VIB²) and is engaged heavily in the design and execution of valorisation-driven drug / ag-bio discovery projects.
As Expert Scientist Small Compounds in the VIB Discovery Sciences team, you will have the opportunity to drive translational research projects to validate and develop candidate molecules for further deal-making and/or investments. Joining a team of highly experienced expert scientists, you will be setting out experimental strategies within the facilities of the organisation. Your activities would include to:
- Interact with the VIB PI’s on their ground-breaking research to help identify tractable and promising targets amenable for drug discovery
- Guide concepts towards valorisation by de-risking innovative approaches, for example including pharmacological target validation studies based on tool compounds
- Lead the translation of drug targets into drug discovery of small compound projects, including oversight and steering of projects lead by colleagues. As member of the team, you will also be exposed and consulted on project aimed at Biologics development especially with regards to validation.
- Have overall Project Lead Responsibilities from a-z focused on small compound drug discovery projects on projects under your management:
- from project evaluation, strategy determination & project planning to management
- assay development, (setting up, validation and miniaturisation, biochemical & functional assays), screening, functional testing, hit-to-lead discovery biology activities in collaboration with medicinal chemistry partner
- in collaboration with the originating PI laboratory guide the preclinical in vivo PoC experiments in animal models (including benchmarking, dose finding, PK/PD studies in animal models and early toxicity studies)
- Be involved in the business development activities in interactions with potential licensees and investors, together with the VIB² Business development activities
- Be involved in finding external funding for your translational projects, also in the context of grants
- Be part of a multi-disciplinary team in the daily operations of the Discovery Sciences unit
VIB Discovery Sciences looks for people who combine an entrepreneurial spirit with great scientific knowledge. You are enthusiastic to apply your expertise to projects spanning a wide area of diseases with a high unmet need and address societal needs in truly innovative ways. The profile we are looking for includes:
- PhD in Biology/Biochemistry/Biomedical sciences
- Over 10 years of industry experience
- Great experience in therapeutic (small-molecule) drug discovery and how to progress targets through to IND
- Expertise in assay development, hit-to-lead projects, ADMEt evauation, in vitro pharmacology projects, exposure to medicinal chemistry and/or structure based drug design are a plus
- Disease knowledge in Inflammation/oncology/neuroscience
- Broad interest in discovery sciences (IP, BD, Fundraising)
- Management skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset and solution driven
- Great listening, communication and negotiation skills
- Fluency in English
Why should you join us?
- Work in a unique innovative driven environment where entrepreneurship is combined with ground-breaking research
- Work with the best scientist in the field of Inflammation/oncology/neuroscience
- Broad responsibilities and activities in the translation of drug targets to viable concepts
- Join a team of equally determined and scientifically experienced people with an ambition to ‘do what it takes’
- Competitive salary package
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.