About the Lab
A postdoctoral Research position is immediately available for kinetic studies of enzymes involved in redox metabolite signaling. Successful candidates will join an exciting research environment of the Messens VIB-laboratory at the Center for Structural Biology in Brussels.
The Messens laboratory is recognized as a world leader in the redox field, and the lab provides an outstanding position in enzyme kinetics, in a highly dynamic and team-oriented research group. In this cutting-edge research environment, you will tackle essential biological problems using your enzyme kinetic expertise.
Mission of the Lab
We decipher how cells sense redox metabolites and transduce stimuli into downstream biological effects. Knowledge of the mechanisms by which sensors and transducers function are invaluable in understanding how redox homeostasis pathways can be engineered with the ultimate goal to improve oxidative stress resistance in plants and to identify therapeutic targets in redox diseases.
- Perform enzyme kinetic analyses including steady-state kinetic and rapid reaction kinetics
- Perform protein expression and purification for biochemical assays and crystallization
- Develop appropriate methods for the determination of the mechanism of action of enzymes
- Collaborate with scientists in our research group
- Provide expertise in design, optimization, verification, and documentation of enzyme assays
- Serve as mentor to undergraduate and graduate students in the laboratory
- Author/co-author articles for publication and presentation in scientific journals
Applicants should have obtained a PhD in the last 5 years within the field of protein biochemistry, and should have a strong theoretical enzyme kinetic and biophysical background. Fluency in English is a must. Experience with structural biology and redox biochemistry is a plus, but not required.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
Please send a cover letter discussing your interests in the laboratory and the project as well as your CV and a list of 3 individuals as references.