International School of Leuven(ISL) is a recently established primary non-profit school. It offers a quality international primary education in a warm and friendly atmosphere.
Education is based on the International Primary Curriculum (IPC), because of the curriculum’s focus on children’s personal development, teaching them the skills to become 21st century learners. This IPCcurriculum is taught in schools around the world, and assists children in acquiring a critical understanding of their own cultures and of other cultures in a way that promotes harmony.
The internationally oriented and vibrant city of Leuven is home to one of the oldest and most innovative universities in the world, and to other renowned knowledge institutions such as imec and VIB. Leuven is located in the heart of Europe, 20 minutes east of Brussels in Belgium.
The school is an active part of the local community, and cooperates closely with local schools.
ISL-teachers and staff consider it their mission to create a joyful and inspirational learning environment, enabling young learners to reach their full potential. ISL’s ambition is for its students to strengthen their self-confidence and become respectful world citizens.
We care deeply about each individual child that we have the privilege of working with. It is that bond
that drives us to do everything we can to ensure that each child obtains the love of learning which is
essential for happiness and success in life.
STUDENTS AND CLASSES
- Currently 72 students, representing 26 nationalities
- Five mixed-aged classes: two pre-primary and three primary classes
- Teachers who are highly qualified professionals, able to teach and support children, even those children with little or no prior knowledge of English
- All classes are taught in English;; children also receive lessons in Dutch and in French (upper primary).
- For children staying in Belgium for a longer period of time, a transition programme (2 or 3 years) towards regular primary education in Flanders is available.
ROLE OF THE HEAD OF SCHOOL
The Head of School is the executive educational leader of the school and ultimately responsible for the quality of the school and the well-being of students and staff in all aspects that contribute to it. The new Head of School will help take an already successful school to the next stage in its development.
The Board of ISL are keen to find an engaging, dynamic individual with a proven track record of successful leadership, who can build upon the successes of the previous Principal who has held the position since the School was founded in 2013.
- You are the driving force behind the mission and vision of the International School of Leuven,together with the board of directors. You instil enthusiasm in your team and inspire teachers, school staff and students to excel.
- You are responsible for the development of the ISL-curriculum and extra-curricular programme, the teachers’ continuous learning programme, the organisation of parent-teacher interaction and adequate quality control mechanisms.
- You oversee the internal organisation of ISL, with close attention to professional budget and accounting practices, human resources and facility management and future oriented planning.
- You engage the school in the local education field, to further the integration of students and the families in Leuven and the local community.
- You are responsible for the positioning and marketing of ISL, the recruitment of new students,
- and the pro-active interaction with all regional stakeholders. Your active interest and engagement in the regional eco-system (KU Leuven, City of Leuven, Flanders Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Leuven MindGate, knowledge institutions such as imec and VIB, The International House of Leuven, …) are essential to the continued success of your school.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Vision
- A Master's degree, preferably in the field of education, or extensive track record in educational
- Qualified teacher status
- A minimum of ten years of school experience generally
- Experience in school administration directly or indirectly (budget management, HR, accounting etc.).
- Knowledge & experience in ‘marketing’ of a(n international) school
- A commitment to our school’s mission, vision and guiding statements
- Experience in managing external stakeholders
- Highly fluent in English
Desirable Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of and experience in an international primary school programme, preferably IPC
- Experience in leadership role in an educational setting
- Experience in working closely and collaboratively with a school board
- Experience in marketing and expanding an international school
- Experience in integrating an educational institution in a regional, international and knowledge oriented eco-system (regional authorities, knowledge institutions, health and high tech industries, etc.)
- Experience in use of state of the art education technologies
Required Personal Attributes
- A passionate educator who is student focused and committed to improving teaching and
- learning through inspirational leadership
- An inspirational leader and problem solver with an aptitude for finding innovative solutions to a
- range of issues, and following through on them
- A global perspective and high order of intercultural understanding and skills
- Passionate, energetic and friendly disposition
- Highly effective communication skills (written and spoken) and social skills
- Flexible and open-mind, putting school's mission and vision in daily practice.
- Collaborative team member attitude
- Principled and caring personality with high integrity standards
- Clear vision on the role and future of education in a globalized society
International School of Leuven offers
A unique opportunity to lead a young, dynamic and growing international school in one of the most knowledge intensive regions in Europe.
The small but vibrant and international city of Leuven is considered one of the safest places to live and work in Europe and is conveniently located 20 minutes east of Brussels and its international airport.
ISL offers a contract of undetermined length and an attractive/competitive salary package.
International School of Leuven has secured the assistance of KU Leuven Personnel Department in
the search for a new Head of School, with Mr. Sammy Brié as search consultant.
Candidates who wish to apply for the Head of School position at International School of Leuven
should submit the following information in the form and manner requested.
- A letter of application no longer than two pages, explaining your strengths as a candidate and why you are interested in the ISL Head of School position.
- A current resume not to exceed two pages.
- A one or two-page statement articulating your education philosophy .
- A one-page list of at least four references who have served as your immediate supervisor with their current telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
- A maximum of four letters of reference which may already be in your possession.
Please send your application and requested documents to Mr. Sammy Brié.
The deadline for applications is June 22, 2018.
Candidates are asked to submit the requested materials as early as possible, as the ISL Board reserves the right to close the search immediately if the right candidate is identified.
The review of files will begin as soon as applicants are received. Suitable candidates will be selected by the recruitment agency, and their application and supporting materials will be forwarded to the ISL Search Committee on a rolling basis.
The Search Consultants will interview selected candidates in person or via Skype.
Two to four finalist candidates will be identified for a final round face-to-face interview with ISL Board
Members on July 23, 2018.