We are looking for an energetic and motivated post-doctoral scientist to work on '-omics' data integration at VIB & Ghent University and who is willing to apply for a MSCA IF fellowship. VIB greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
A broad range of high-throughput and culture-independent ‘-omics’ analyses are nowadays available to study complex microbial communities, including their function and interaction with the host. These ‘-omics’ techniques complement each other in revealing the impact of the intestinal microbiota on human health. Over the past decade, the importance of the gut microbiome in health and disease has become increasingly recognized. The discovery that an imbalanced microbiome composition influences behavior and cognition, resulted in the establishment of the well-accepted concept of the gut-brain axis, referring to the complex communication network between the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and the central nervous system (CNS) and vice versa, and includes immune, vagal and metabolic pathways.
Understanding the changes in microbiome composition and function through the analysis of multi-omics data, how this relates to GI inflammation and the exposome, and how these alterations feed-forward to brain function, will increase our understanding of the pathogenesis of neuro-inflammatory disorders.
- The candidate must hold a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or equivalent.
- The candidate should have knowledge in molecular biology and genomics technologies.
- The candidate should have knowledge of how to evaluate and compare research data standards.
- The candidate should have hands-on experience in R, Linux/Unix environment and with scripting languages (e.g. Python).
- Candidates must be proficient in oral and written English, have excellent communication and multi-tasking skills, be team-oriented, proactive and results-driven.
- Knowledge about various ‘-omics’ data sets like NGS, proteomics and metabolomics is an asset.
- Knowledge in Machine Learning is an asset.
- Candidates have to apply for a MSCA IF fellowship. For more Information on the MSCA IF fellowship and the application procedure: https://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/actions/get-funding/individual-fellowship-2018_en
We provide a supportive and international research environment in a world-class academic context, with a diversity of top quality research and access to state-of-the art research tools, infrastructure, core facilities and a rich training environment. We also offer intensive help with the MSCA IF fellowship application.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
- Please contact Roosmarijn or Oren Tzfadia if you need more info on this vacancy
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/viblifesciences, https://twitter.com/InflamResCen, https://twitter.com/vdb_lab, and https://twitter.com/vibbioinfocore
- Lab websites: http://www.vib.be/en/research/scientists/Pages/Roos-Vandenbroucke-Lab.aspx and https://www.bits.vib.be/