About the Lab
The Laboratory of Computational Biology (Stein Aerts lab) at the VIB Center for Brain and Disease Research, and the KU Leuven Center for Human Genetics, in collaboration with Janssen Pharmaceutica, is seeking a highly motivated computer scientist, programmer, or bioinformatician to develop, maintain, and optimize bioinformatics workflows within a HPC environment, focused on the analysis of single-cell genomics data.
Your goal will be to test and validate new methods and algorithms for the analysis of single-cell genomics data; to implement efficient pipelines and QC steps; and to benchmark different methods for the normalization, clustering, and classification of single-cells. You will also build atlases of single-cell data, and use these to classify cell types, and to follow single-cell changes during disease progression.
This position will involve regular interactions within a multidisciplinary network of researchers at KU Leuven, UGent, and Janssen Beerse.
- MSc or PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering, bioinformatics or related field
- Excellent programming skills in a subset of the following languages: Python, Perl, Java/C++, R/Shiny, with the knowledge of Linux/Unix, SQL, and version control, e.g. Git
- Experience with HPC and cloud computing (AWS) distributed computing
- Experience in implementing computational workflows for analysis of big data
- Experience with the analysis of NGS and other high-throughput data is a plus; for example: WGS, Exome-seq, single cell, epigenomics, GWAS, eQTL, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq
Desirable but not required
- Knowledge of open-source and proprietary computational biology tools and databases is a plus
- Experience in data mining and machine learning approaches is a plus
- A stimulating international research environment
- A renewable contract
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Relocation support possible for international applicants
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply using the VIB HR Application tool.
Additional requirements: please submit a full CV and motivation letter. The coordinates of at least 2 references should be mentioned.
For additional information concerning this job please contact Prof Stein Aerts
Information on the laboratory: http://www.aertslab.org