VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is a life science research organisation in Flanders, Belgium counting more than 1500 scientists. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies.
The current position in the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit is part of a translational research team embedded within VIB focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery projects in close collaboration with VIB PI’s working on emerging targets.
VIB is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, self-motivated scientist with proven industrial experience to strengthen the VIB DS team and help establishing a new lab facility in Ghent.
The Expert Scientists plan and drive the translational research projects in the portfolio. Projects aimed at developing lead candidate molecules and further (pharmacological) target validation which are the basis of deal-making and/or investments. Direct experience with pharma requirements for development characteristics up to candidate stage biologics and in vivo proof-of-concept data is therefore a definitive plus. The VIB DS projects are developed in a partnership model with VIB’s academic scientists, external partners and internal VIB Core technology facilities/teams. The VIB DS team operates in synergy with the Innovation and Business team of VIB.
Together with your colleagues, you will be responsible for setting up a Ghent-based lab facility to support the therapeutic biologics production and molecular biology needs of VIB DS. You will be involved in the daily operations of VIB DS.
You will be responsible for specific projects, the associated collaborations with partners and setting out experimental strategies with existing VIB facilities and scientists. Specific knowledge and hands-on experience in leading, designing and executing studies in the early phases of drug discovery aimed at therapeutic biologics (up to preclinical development) is requested. Some hands on experimental work and involvement in fund-raising for your translational projects is expected.
- You must have industry-relevant expertise in expression, purification and biophysical/CMC characterization of therapeutic biologics. Experience in setting up lab facilities, process automation and management is an absolute plus.
- You are enthusiastic to apply your expertise to projects spanning a wide area of diseases with a high unmet need (oncology, inflammation, neuroscience and infections) relying on VIB’s scientists for target understanding and mode-of-action data.
- Experience in protein engineering and/or affinity maturation methods.
- Experience in candidate generation, hit selection methods, cross-reactivity testing, cellular functional testing, affinity and potency testing, etc.
- Applicants must have a PhD or an equivalent degree. Applicants must have experience in an industry-environment in therapeutic biologics drug discovery.
- Project management skills will be required to drive innovative projects at (early) candidate stage in close collaboration with the scientific originators.
- Able to identify and troubleshoot problems. Solution-driven.
- Able to collaborate effectively with VIB DS colleagues, VIB PI’s, CRO’s. external co-development partners and VIB’s Innovation and Business team, able to guide lab members/technical assistants.
- Support in writing project proposals and grant proposals.
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory.
- A creative and dynamic scientific culture with a great drive towards innovation.
- An entrepreneurial setting where curiosity-driven research is matched with product or application oriented R&D activities.
- An exposure to all facets of innovation, including IP protection, business development and collaborative partnerships.
- An ambition to ‘do what it takes’.
- A competitive remuneration.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online. A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references
For more information about the position, please contact Bruno Dombrecht (+32 16 328 657)