About the institute and research infrastructure
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics, phenotyping and molecular data to unravel the biology of plants and to explore the potential of plants to build a sustainable world and translate this knowledge into value for society.
The bioinformatics research groups at PSB develop novel software and web tools for the integration of large-scale data sets in the area of genomics, transcriptomics and phenomics for which an extensive computational infrastructure is available on site. PSB plays an important role in large scale European research infrastructures, ELIXIR and EMPHASIS, on the level of data management, data integration, and making data available to the community in the scope of open science.
At PSB we have designed and developed several robotic phenotyping platforms, ranging from an XY table, for controlled irrigation and imaging of model plants, to more crop-oriented systems (https://www.wiwam.be). To manage these platforms and the data produced, we have been developing a central database and web interface, called PIPPA. The interface allows scientists to setup and analyze their own experiments, while keeping all data together in a structured database. A modular analysis framework has been integrated into PIPPA, to process images and visualize the experimental data. Furthermore, environmental measurements, weighing and irrigation output, the experimental design, and image analysis results can all be graphically visualized within PIPPA.
In this position you will strengthen the team to further develop the PIPPA platform, comprising aspects of graphical visualization, API development, analysis automation, … Current and future developments focus on the interoperability of image processing tools and the public accessibility of raw phenotypic data to enable community based 'big data' analysis initiatives.
- Bachelor or Master in computer science, bioinformatics or equivalent
- Proficiency in at least one programming language is required
- Experience with one or more of the following is a plus
- Database management (mySQL) and ORM tools (such as SQLAlchemy)
- Version management tools such as Git
- IT automation systems such as Ansible
- Experience with one or more of the following frameworks is an asset:
- Willing and able to learn and implement new technologies
- Fluent in English, with good communication skills
- You have a solution-oriented and positive attitude
- You have a community spirit
- Able to work both independently as well as in a team
- You will be expected to work collaboratively with colleagues within the institute as well as across Europe.
- A 2-year position with possibility for prolongation
- A working climate, in which trust and commitment are essential.
- A stimulating and supportive international environment with opportunities for personal input, at the edge of data developments in Europe.
- Various training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
Make sure your application includes:
- A detailed CV
- A one-page motivation letter
A first review of applications will start immediately. Applications are welcome until the position is filled.