VIB is an independent research institute where some 1,500 top scientists from Belgium and abroad conduct pioneering basic research in life sciences. VIB’s Innovation & Business team translates research results into concrete benefits for society, such as new diagnostics and therapies and agricultural innovations.
VIB also engages actively in the public debate on biotechnology by developing and disseminating a wide range of science-based information. To strengthen our communication team, we are looking a young and dynamic candidate who is passionate about communicating life sciences to a variety of audiences.
Science Communication Expert
As a Science Communication Expert, you will work with internal stakeholders to develop and implement communication activities to support the goals of VIB. The Science Communication Expert writes content for various publications and represents VIB at different occasions.
- You follow scientific developments in biotechnology that are relevant from a societal point of view
- You stimulate and support the dissemination of information about biotechnology to a wide audience and you convince other scientists to share their results
- You write press releases about research results from VIB scientists for both the Flemish media and specialized (international) media
- You manage the art of 'story telling' like no other and you rewrite scientific texts in an easy-to-read newsletter, a convincing story for an annual report, etc.
- You actively participate in debates and give lectures
- You are in close contact with VIB researchers and support them in their communication activities
- You will help in developing public engagement events and you do not shy away from helping out with logistics and practicalities
- You have a master's degree in biology, biotechnology or bio-engineering
- You are a scientist with a heart for communication
- You have excellent writing skills and you know how to turn complex scientific themes into an understandable and fascinating story
- You have a knack for public speaking and you give compelling presentations for diverse audiences
- Understanding and adapting to the needs of the different target groups you are dealing with is a given
- Able to work autonomously as well as in a team
- Dutch or English mother tongue, but fluent in writing and speaking both languages
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and basic knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
Being part of the science communications team means that you will be working in a stimulating environment with enthusiastic colleagues and many different stakeholders. Initiative and creativity are appreciated. We encourage continuous improvement and innovation, providing resourcefulness and professionalism to enhance the quality and impact of VIB’s communication strategy.
Place of employment: Ghent
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply online.
A first selection will be done based on your CV and motivation letter. The selected candidates will need to do a written and oral test.
For more information, please contact Katrina Wright (09/244 66 11).