About the Lab
The Vanderhaeghen Lab (Stem Cell and Developmental Neurobiology Lab) at the VIB/KULeuven Center for Brain & Disease Research, Belgium, is seeking a creative postdoctoral Fellow to study the transcriptional mechanisms underlying the development and function of human neurons of the cerebral cortex, in tight relation with the evolution of the human brain, and specific neurodevelopmental diseases.
You will explore single-cell epigenomics and transcriptomics data, generated in the lab and highly focused on the developing neurons of the human cerebral cortex. Using computational approaches you will infer gene regulatory networks, and study the impact of specific genetic networks on the development of human neurons, how these compare with neurons from other species, and in pathological contexts such as intellectual deficiency and autism spectrum disorders.
This highly multidisciplinary project will be undertaken in active collaboration with the Aerts Lab, leader in bioinformatics and transcriptional mechanisms.
Depending on your expertise, you can apply machine learning techniques or statistical/Bayesian data integration techniques. You can explore big data compendia such as the emerging single-cell atlases (Human Cell Atlas, Fly Cell Atlas, etc.).
Suzuki et al., Cell (2018) 173:1370-1384.
Espuny-Camacho et al., Neuron (2017) 93:1066-1081.
Michelsen et al., ,Neuron (2015) 85:982-97.
Espuny-Camacho et al., Neuron (2013), 77: 440-456.
Gaspard et al.,Nature (2008) 455: 351-357.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a strong interest in developmental neurobiology and/or evolutionary biology, with a strong background in bioinformatics.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Engineering, Computer Science, Bio-engineering, or Life Sciences
- Programming skills
- A computational mindset and a strong interest in computational biology
Desirable but not required:
- Experience with Machine learning is a plus, but not absolutely required.
- A versatile and challenging job with very diverse contacts in a world-class research environment operating at an international level, and various opportunities to broaden your expertise
- A competitive compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Financial support is available for at least 2 years. However, the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain a personal fellowship (Marie-Curie, HFSP, EMBO, or National funding organizations).
- Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV incl. list of publications, a motivation letter, and the contact information of three referees.
For more information contact Pierre Vanderhaeghen.