VIB is a more than 1500 scientists counting life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies.
The current position in VIB’s Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team embedded within VIB focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery projects. Its projects are run in close collaboration with VIB’s academic scientists, external partners, internal VIB Core technology facilities and the Innovation and Business unit of VIB.
VIB DS looking to recruit creative, energetic, self-motivated technicians to strengthen its therapeutic biologics capabilities.
Together with your colleagues, you will be responsible for setting up a Ghent-based lab facility to support the therapeutic biologics production and molecular biology needs of VIB DS.
Develop, optimize and validate assays and procedures for high throughput production, purification, biophysical characterization and modification of therapeutic biologics with minimal supervision. Discuss results with stakeholders and propose next steps.
You will be involved in the daily operations of VIB DS, taking responsibilities in lab organization (stock management, equipment maintenance, etc.).
Required technical skills
- You possess at least a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master) or equivalent.
- You must have industry-relevant expertise in microbial and mammalian expression, purification and biophysical characterization of therapeutic biologics.
- Similar experience in protein engineering and/or affinity maturation methods is expected.
- Proficient in standard molecular biology techniques.
Desired but not required
- Experience in setting up lab facilities and process automation is an absolute plus.
- Experience in protein display methods.
Required general skills
- Interested in application-oriented research.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, independent and self-motivated.
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to identify and troubleshoot problems. Solution-driven.
- Able to accurately compile and document the work (proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Willing to learn new techniques, expand your knowledge, and take on responsibilities.
- Solid command of English (oral and written).
Candidates are offered an open-ended contract. We provide a supportive, stimulating and international environment with a clear focus on drug development, at the forefront of life science.
Total social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references