VIB is a more than 1500 scientists counting life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies.
The current position in the VIB Discovery Sciences unit is part of a translational research team embedded within VIB focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery projects. The biomedical teams in VIB Discovery Sciences will focus on therapeutic biologics and assay development and will closely collaborate with VIB principle investigators working on emerging targets.
The VIB Discovery Sciences projects are developed in a partnership model with VIB’s academic scientists, external partners and internal VIB Core technology facilities/teams. The VIB DS team operates in synergy with the Technology Transfer Team of VIB.
VIB is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, self-motivated technician to strengthen the Therapeutic Biologics team within VIB Discovery Sciences.
Develop, optimize, and validate physiological, biochemical, and cell-based assays for high throughput screening as well as small scale experiments (targeted studies for functional validation of hit compounds). Plan, perform accurately, document thoroughly, and evaluate properly physiological, biochemical and cellular experiments with minimal supervision. Discuss results with the Expert Scientists and elaborate next steps together. Take responsibilities in daily lab organization (stock management, equipment maintenance, etc.).
Required technical skills
- You possess at least a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master) or equivalent.
- Proficient in standard molecular biology techniques.
- Experience with at least some of following techniques: biochemical assays (ELISA, AlphaScreen), affinity determination (Biacore, Octet), cell culture, reporter gene assays, chemotaxis assays, automated liquid handling, ...
Desired but not required
- Extensive experience in assay development for drug screening in an industrial set up is a definitive plus.
Required general skills
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, independent and self-motivated.
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to accurately compile and document the work (proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Willing to learn new techniques, expand your knowledge, and take over responsibilities.
- Good command of English (oral and written)
- The candidate will be offered an open-ended contract.
- We provide a supportive and international environment in a world-class academic context, which results in a rewarding and highly stimulating working environment, at the forefront of life science.
- Total social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
- Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.