About the lab
The Laboratory for Proteolytic Mechanisms in Neurodegeneration headed by Prof. Lucia Chavez Gutierrez at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is looking for a postdoctoral researcher to investigate gamma-secretase-mediated intramembrane proteolysis in the human brain and its link to Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis.
The main aim of the project is to characterize the function of gamma-secretase intramembrane proteases in the human brain and identify novel endogenous modulators of their activity, all in connection with Alzheimer's disease.
You will be working on the development of ad-hoc methods for the determination of the mechanisms of action of intramembrane proteases. You will perform protein expression and purification for biochemical assays, structure-function analysis, proteomics and lipidomics.
- Applicants should have obtained a PhD in the last 4 years within the field of protein biochemistry, bio-engineering, molecular biology or equivalent
- Highly motivated and creative
- Good communication skills in English
- Expertise in protein sciences
- Ability to work independently while embedded in a team.
Desirable but not required
- Membrane proteins
- Reconstitution of membrane proteins in lipid environments
- Molecular Biology of the synapse
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Access to state-of-the art infrastructure and tools
- A highly interactive, stimulating and international environment of VIB.
- Financial support is available for 2 years. However, the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain a personal fellowship (Marie-Curie, EMBO, or National funding organizations).
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool
Additional required information:
- Please enclose a cover letter presenting your interests in the project
- Please mention the contact details of two references in the application form.
For more information, please contact email@example.com or follow the links below: