About the lab
The Vanderhaeghen Lab (Stem Cell and Developmental Neurobiology Lab) at the VIB/KULeuven Center for Brain & Disease Research, Belgium, is seeking a highly creative postdoctoral Fellow to study the the mechanisms linking the development and evolution of the human cerebral cortex, in relation with neurodevelopmental diseases.
The major research goal in our laboratory is to unravel some of the key mechanisms controlling the development of the cerebral cortex, from stem cells to neuronal circuits, in link with human brain evolution and diseases (pvdhlab.org – cf references below). Our primary tools include innovative models of corticogenesis from human pluripotent stem cells, which we pioneered in the lab, and that recapitulate species-specific features of corticogenesis, from simple 2D models to xenotransplantation of human neurons in the mouse.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a strong background and interest in developmental neurobiology and evolution. Previous experience in stem cell, developmental/evolutionary biology, cellular neurobiology and/or pluripotent stem cell technology are strongly recommended.
- Suzuki et al. Cell (2018) 173:1370-1384.
- Espuny-Camacho et al. Neuron (2017) 93:1066-1081.
- Michelsen et al. Neuron (2015) 85:982-97.
- Espuny-Camacho et al. Neuron (2013), 77: 440-456.
- Tiberi et al. Nature Neurosci. (2012), 15, 1627-1635
- Gaspard et al. Nature (2008) 455: 351-357.
We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a strong interest in developmental neurobiology and/or evolutionary biology, with a strong background in bioinformatics..
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Engineering, Computer Science, Bio-engineering, or Life Sciences
- Programming skills
- A computational mindset and a strong interest in computational biology
Desirable but not required
- Experience with Machine learning is a plus, but not absolutely required.
- A versatile and challenging job with very diverse contacts in a world-class research environment operating at an international level, and various opportunities to broaden your expertise
- A competitive compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Financial support is available for at least 2 years. However, the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain a personal fellowship (Marie-Curie, HFSP, EMBO, or National funding organizations).
- Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
For more information contact email@example.com. Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV incl. list of publications, a motivation letter and the contact information of three referees.