The VIB-International Plant Biotechnology Outreach (IPBO) is a unit of VIB that fosters partnerships in the field of Life sciences, agriculture and advanced molecular (bio)technologies with stakeholders from developing countries, especially sub Saharan Africa.
By implementing projects related to scientific research, capacity building or policy development the goal of IPBO is to encourage an optimal use of available knowledge and technologies to develop a sustainable agriculture.
Thus, IPBO bases its work on three pillars:
- communication/dissemination (providing policy makers and public in developing and emerging countries with science-based information on biotechnology and its applications)
- capacity building (training students and professionals from developing countries to empower local biotech capacities)
- project development (facilitating cooperation between institutes in Europe and Africa)
To further develop our activities, we are looking for a "Scientific officer".
- You'll be actively exploring the possibilities to fund projects in the context of cooperation with Africa and write propals accordingly.
- You'll be expected to take an active role in the coordination/implementation/communication of different projects.
- The organization of workshops, training courses, conferences as well as following up the work of partners in the field or in the laboratory.
- Reporting and communicating on the running projects.
- You have strong interpersonal skills and therefore have the ability to work with multiple stakeholders in a flexible manner.
- You have an academic training (at least MSc) and experience in the Life Sciences area, preferably in Plant Biology, Plant Biotechnology, or Applied Biological Sciences.
- You are willing to travel nationally and internationally (including Africa).
- You're a scientist and have a heart for development cooperation.
- You are able to work autonomously as well as in a team.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English
Desirable but not required
- Excellent writing and communication skills in French and/or Dutch are an asset.
- Experience in working with stakeholders from developing countries is an asset.
Being part of the IPBO means that you will be working in a cross disciplinary and multicultural working environment. Initiative and creativity are appreciated. We provide an extensive network and support to enhance the quality and impact of VIB's outreach in the field of plant science.
Place of employment: Ghent
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Additional requirements: detailed motivation and CV.
A first selection will be done based on your CV and motivation letter. Selected candidates will need to do a written test and an interview.
For more information, please contact Marc Heijde.