VIB-VUB Center for Structural Biology houses research groups with strong expertise in protein biochemistry, X-ray crystallography, NMR, biophysics, nanobody technology and electron microscopy. Our department tightly collaborates with other VIB departments on cutting edge biological research problems ranging from human diseases to plant biotechnology. VIB is an excellence-based entrepreneurial institute that focuses on translating basic scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications.
The VIB-VUB Center for Structural Biology (CSB) in Brussels seeks to recruit a staff scientist to support operation of the VIB-VUB Bio Electron Cryogenic Microscopy (BECM) center in single-particle cryo-EM and cryo-tomography projects.
BECM is a state-of-the-art cryo-EM facility equipped with JEOL cryoARM300 electron microscope with cold FEG, in-column energy filter, phase plate and K2 detector (upgraded to K3 in the coming month). It is complemented with two screening JEOL JEM-1400 120 kV microscopes and also includes a state of the art sample preparation laboratory and computational facilities. The facility has been launched in 2018 and serves internal users from CSB and large community of external academic and industrial users.
- User support in data acquisition on high-resolution and screening microscopes and preliminary computational data analysis
- Provide help with experimental design in sample preparation and imaging
- Contribute to management and maintenance of the microscopes
- Contribute to user training in sample preparation, microscopy and image processing
- Take part in new technical developments and establishment of the new standard operation procedures for sample preparation and data acquisition
Essential experience and competences
- M.S. or higher degree in biological, physical or engineering sciences
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on experience in operation of transmission electron microscopes (biological cryo-EM experience preferred but not required; experience with microscopes equipped with autoloader would be of an advantage)
- Thorough knowledge of the principles of transmission electron microscopy
- Excellent communication skills in English and interpersonal skills
- Strong motivation to provide high-quality service to users
- Be technically oriented and have excellent experimentalist skills
Would be of further advantage
- Experience in 3D structure determination by single particle reconstruction or cryo-tomography
- Experience with automated data acquisition, and good knowledge of automated data acquisition programs including SerialEM
- Experience with multiuser facilities
- Strong hands-on EM skills and troubleshooting experience
- Project management skills
- Excellent IT-knowledge
- Specialist knowledge of cryo-EM reconstruction software
- Knowledge of scientific computing including Unix shell scripting, Matlab, Python, programming languages
- An exciting and international research environment with committed peers
- Opportunity to work on cutting edge cryo-EM projects
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A three-year position with possibility to extend into long-term contract
Position is available immediately.
For further enquiries please contact Rouslan Efremov.