VIB is a more than 1700 scientists counting life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies.
The current open position is to be found in VIB's Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team embedded within VIB, focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery projects. Its projects are run in close collaboration with VIB's academic scientists, external partners, internal VIB Core technology facilities and the Innovation and Business unit at VIB.
The team consists mostly of indrustry-trained technicians and scientists, located over two facilities in Ghent and Leuven. The core activities include biochemical and cell based assay development for drug screening, small molecule drug discovery, therapeutics biologics development, engineering & production.
VIB DS Leuven is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, self-motivated technician to strengthen the Therapeutic Biologics team.
- Develop, optimize, and validate biochemical, and cell-based assays for high throughput screening and detailed characterization of small molecule and biologic drug candidates.
- Plan, perform accurately, document thoroughly, and evaluate properly experiments indepently and discuss results and next steps together with collegeagues.
- Present and discuss own data during weekly operational meetings with direct colleagues and supervisors.
- Take responsibilities in daily lab organization (stock management, equipment maintenance, etc.).
- Guide and/or supervise junior lab members, students and visiting scientists when appropriate.
Required technical skills
- Solid experience with at least some of following techniques:
- flow cytometry
- biochemical assays (ELISA, AlphaScreen,...)
- affinity determination (Biacore, Octet,...)
- mammalian cell culture
- mammalian cell assay development
- Proficient in standard molecular biology techniques.
Desired but not required
- Extensive experience in assay development for drug screening is a definitive plus.
- Expertise with assay/antibody/biologics development in an industrial setting is an advantage.
Required general skills
- Interested in application-oriented research.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, independent and self-motivated.
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to identify and troubleshoot problems. Solution-driven.
- Able to accurately compile and document the work (proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Willing to learn new techniques, expand your knowledge, and take over responsibilities.
- Solid command of English (oral and written).
- The candidate will be offered an open-ended contract. We provide a supportive, stimulating and international environment with a clear focus on drug development, at the forefront of life sciences.
- Total social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
- Starting date: as soon as possible.
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.