The Metabolomics Expertise Center (MEC) is located on the Gasthuisberg campus in Leuven and specializes in the analysis of biochemical reactions (metabolomics). We use mass spectrometry and various types of chromatography (gas and liquid) to perform these analyses. A unique expertise of MEC is the development of a Google Maps-type platform that enables us to visualize and map information to biochemical pathways. The platform is used intensively by various researchers inside and outside Belgium who want to know these biochemical reactions relate to various relevant disease models (cancer, neurological diseases, metabolic diseases, etc.).
The Metabolomics Expertise Center is looking for a talented data analyst / mass spectrometrist
As a Mass Spectrometrist - Advanced Data Analyst you will be responsible for keeping various types of mass spectrometers operational within the Metabolomics Expertise Center. You are also responsible for data processing (from raw data files from the mass spectrometer to biologically interpretable data). For this you will use various software programs (commercially and in-house developed platforms). You will be supervised by both the senior technical and academic staff of the expertise center.
- You have a bachelor's / master's degree in biochemistry / chemistry / bioinformatics or an equivalent profile
- You are flexible and willing to learn new technologies
- You are accurate and critical
- You can work in a problem-solving manner
- You are enthusiastic and eager to learn
- You have good communication skills
- You are a team player
- You have knowledge of biochemical reactions or you are prepared to learn this
- You like intellectual challenges
- A very dynamic and (inter)national environment within one of the top research groups in the field of metabolism
- You are at the basis for "solving" highly relevant disease models (cancer, etc.)
- Training in operating and maintaining highly advanced mass spectrometers (type LC-OrbiTRAP, LC-triplequad, GC-triplequad and LC-OrbiTRAP Lumos). Such expertise is highly sought after by various industrial companies.
- Training in data analysis based on various software programs
- An initial contract of 1 year is offered with the possibility of extension into a contract of indefinite duration
- Scheduled start date September-October 2019
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.