About the lab
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven, which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities. At our Center, researchers study the cellular mechanisms of health and disease in the central nervous system.
Dr. Sandrine Da Cruz, an established researcher in the field of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), is starting up a new lab as of 1st October 2019 within the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research. The Da Cruz lab focuses on disease mechanism and therapy development for human neurodegenerative diseases, including Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD), the second most common dementia.
To this end we combine sophisticated mouse genetics, cutting-edge stem cell and genome editing approaches to model human neurological disorders in vivo and in vitro.
The Da Cruz lab is looking for a fulltime, highly motivated and dedicated senior research technician to work in the research team and act as lab coordinator.
The research technician will help us establish the lab and will support the team in the day to day research work. The successful candidate is expected to perform cell culture (primary neuronal and pluripotent stem cell cultures), mouse colony management and immunohistohemistry. She/he will also be responsible for aspects of lab organization such as lab maintenance, orderings, and overseeing biosafety requirements.
- Professional Bachelor degree in biomedical/biological/biochemical laboratory technologies with hands-on experience in molecular/cellular biology or equivalent.
- Skilled in cell culture; Expertise in neuronal cell cultures is a plus.
- Solid experience in the following techniques: PCR, genotyping, mouse colony maintenance, cell culture transfection, Western blotting, immunohistochemistry….
- Be willing to work with laboratory animals (mice and rats); Have a Felasa B certificate or willing to acquire it in the short term. Experience with rodent surgeries is a plus.
- You are passionate about science and enthusiastic to be part of a dynamic research team.
- You are fluent in written and spoken Dutch and English.
Key personal characteristics
- You must be very organized, meticulous, proactive, independent and self-motivated.
- You have excellent interpersonal communication skills, and strong managing skills.
- You are a team player and can take responsibility.
- You are eager to expand your skills in new technologies.
- Access to top state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Learn innovative techniques and tools, from stem cells to neurobiology
- A stimulating international research environment
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Open-ended contract Starting date : October 1st, 2019
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool
Additional required information:
- detailed CV
- motivation letter describing your previous job experience
- names and contact information of 3 references
For more information: please contact Sandrine Da Cruz via email Team_DaCruz@vib.be
Info about lab and the center: