The VIB Bioinformatics Core is hiring a motivated staff scientist to coordinate the development and implementation of an integrative multi-Omics platform for VIB’s research and business development activities across its Centers and core facilities. An initial Proof of Concept project merging data from the VIB Nucleomics, Proteomics and Metabolomics core facilities has been initiated to scope the standardization efforts related to bioinformatics tools, pipelines and the necessary technical infrastructure.
The successful candidate combines strong bioinformatics skills with a keen interest in biological questions and can rely on previous experience in the handling and analysis of different life sciences data. Moreover, the candidate has a strong interest in the data integration across life sciences domains, and in working in a multidisciplinary environment composed of experts in genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, bio-imaging, and bioinformatics.
She/he is a team player that will work in close collaboration with the VIB Core facilities, VIB IT and that will interface with VIB’s research community. VIB greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
The staff scientist will be able to leverage resources in the VIB Bioinformatics Core, and can build upon VIB’s extensive expertise in bioinformatics, and its professionally managed, state-of-the-art core facilities.
The main focus will be on
- Coordination of the integrative bioinformatics efforts at VIB, with emphasis on integration of data from VIB’s research activities
- Successful completion of the Proof of Concept
- Coordination multi omics projects
- Development of key infrastructure across VIB’s core facilities that will enable integrative data analysis
- Prioritization of integration efforts based on current needs
- Implementation of data integration efforts based on initial proof-of-concepts sourced from current needs of VIB researchers, in collaboration with the relevant core facilities
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or equivalent through experience
- Knowledge of molecular biology and life sciences analytics
- Service minded
- A keen interest in integrative bioinformatics
- Motivated and result driven with the ability to organise and prioritise work
- Good oral and written English communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in bioinformatics analysis of life sciences data
- Experience in programming (Java, Python, or C-style languages), workflow engine nextflow, high performance computing and/or relational databases
The successful candidate will be offered an initial one-year contract, subject to indefinite extension upon successful evaluation. We provide an international environment in a world-class academic context, which results in a challenging but rewarding and highly stimulating work environment, at the edge of current bioinformatics technologies and the latest innovations.
Deadline for application
Applications to be submitted to VIB by 31 December 2019.