VIB is a more than 1500 scientists counting life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies.
The current position in the VIB Discovery Sciences unit is part of a translational research team embedded within VIB focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery projects.
Discovery Sciences will focus on therapeutic biologics and assay development and will closely collaborate with VIB principle investigators working on emerging targets.
The VIB Discovery Sciences projects are developed in a partnership model with VIB’s academic scientists, external partners and internal VIB Core technology facilities/teams. The VIB DS team operates in synergy with the Technology Transfer Team of VIB.
VIB is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, self-motivated Research Technician to strengthen the small compound team within VIB Discovery Sciences.
- Develop, optimize, and validate physiological, biochemical, and cell-based assays for high throughput screening as well as small-scale experiments (targeted studies for functional validation of hit compounds).
- Plan, perform accurately, document thoroughly, and evaluate properly physiological, biochemical and cellular experiments with minimal supervision. Discuss results with the Expert Scientists and elaborate next steps together.
- Take responsibilities in daily lab organization (stock management, equipment maintenance, etc.).
Required Technical skills
- Professional Bachelor degree in biomedical/biological/biochemical laboratory technologies with hands-on experience in molecular/cellular biology or equivalent
- Skilled in cell-culture. Maintenance of several cell lines including transfection optimization.
- Experience in one or several of the following techniques: assay readouts (including absorbance, fluorescence, and/or luminescence detection technologies), reporter gene assays, proximity assays (FRET and/or BRET)
- Extensive experience in assay development for drug screening.
- Experience in industrial setting.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, independent and self-motivated.
- Willing to learn new techniques, expand your knowledge, and take over responsibilities.
Required general skills
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to accurately compile and document the work (proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Starting date: as soon as possible.
We offer a temporary contract with the possibility to extend.
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool.
Additional required information:
- detailed CV
- motivation letter describing your previous job experience
- names and contact information of 2 references