VIB-KULeuven is an exciting, interdisciplinary research institute with excellent facilities and leading research groups in e.g. oncology, genetics/-omics, molecular biology and translational research. The VIB Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) is one of the research departments of VIB at KU Leuven and is located at Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven. CCB hosts 11 research groups and 1 Metabolomics Core facility, with an employment of about 200 researchers, administrative and technical collaborators.
The focus of the Center is to unravel the molecular basis of cancer, and whenever suitable, exploit these insights to develop novel therapeutic or diagnostic strategies.
The center uses state-of-the-art high throughput sequencing and metabolomics technologies to characterize tumor samples.
For its new Bioinformatics Core Facility, the center is currently looking for a dynamic and highly motivated Scientist in Bioinformatics.
The candidate will perform informatics to solve biological questions and will be involved in:
- Building and applying bioinformatics pipelines in order to analyze high-throughput sequencing data such as whole-genome, whole-exome, methylation, RNA data, and single-cell (sc) sequencing data from the newest single-cell multi-omics technologies (scRNA-seq, ATAC-seq, DNA-seq, CITE-seq, CROP-seq and spatial profiling).
- Guiding biologists in analyzing their own data and performing statistical tests and pathway analysis;
- Exploring public available databases;
- Working with and managing big data;
- The creative visualization of the results;
- Using and maintaining high performance computing clusters.
- You have obtained a Masters degree in bioengineering, computer science, (bio)informatics, mathematics or related field;
- You have good communication skills and can work easily together with other (international) team members;
- You have a passion for bioinformatics and the motivation to work on innovative and ambitious projects in an open, dynamic and skilled research team;
- You have experience with Linux systems, bash, R, and statistics.
- Experience with high-performance computing, (multivariate) statistics, data analysis, Bayesian statistics, machine learning, data visualization and big data management are an important asset;
- Knowledge of Linux, databases, BioConductor, Python or related programming languages and basic system administration skills are considered a plus.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- A fascinating work environment in which quality, professionalism and social contact are encouraged;
- The possibility to be at the start of a scientifically cutting-edge and society relevant project;
- The opportunity to contribute to the biological validation of your own research findings.
The position will be allocated as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
How to apply?
Only online applications will be accepted (https://vibvzw.jobsoid.com/apply/25122).
Please include the following documents:
- Motivation letter
- Complete CV with list of publications
- Contact information of 2-3 referees
Top-ranked candidates will be invited for an interview at the VIB in Leuven.