VIB is a more than 1500 scientists counting life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in society and innovative biotechnology companies.
The current position is in the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team embedded within VIB focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery projects. Its projects are run in close collaboration with VIB’s academic scientists, external partners, internal VIB Core technology facilities and the Innovation and Business Unit of VIB.
VIB DS is looking to recruit a creative, energetic, self-motivated technician to strengthen and enhance its therapeutic biologics capabilities.
Together with your colleagues, you will be responsible to help running our Gent-based lab facility to support the therapeutic biologics production and molecular biology needs of VIB DS.
You will develop, optimize and validate assays and procedures for high throughput production, purification, biophysical characterization and modification of therapeutic biologics with minimal supervision. You will also discuss results with stakeholders and propose next steps, as well as be involved in the daily operations of VIB DS, taking responsibilities in lab organization.
- You have at least a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master) or equivalent.
- Experience in expression, purification and biophysical characterization of recombinant proteins is required.
- You are proficient in standard molecular biology techniques.
- Experience in lab robotics and process automation is an absolute plus, likewise for phage or yeast display, and protein engineering.
- Ideally, you have significant industry experience.
- Interested in application-oriented research.
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, independent and self-motivated.
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Able to identify and troubleshoot problems, solution-driven.
- Able to accurately compile and document the work (proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Willing to learn new techniques, expand knowledge and take on responsibilities.
- Solid command of English (oral and written).
Candidates are offered an open-ended contract. We provide a supportive, stimulating and international environment with a clear focus on drug development, at the forefront of life science, in the best team ever.
Total social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references