Developing the business plan with a focus on product development costs and shaping all the operations (manufacturing, procurement, quality insurance)
IMEC and VIB join forces in a start-up project developing game-changing technologies for automated cell manipulation and multi-omics analysis enabling new insights in disease and other biological processes on a single cell level. To further develop this technology within a new spin-off company, we are looking for a proven leader in operations with an entrepreneurial and hands-on mentality to join as key member of the leadership team.
His/her key duty will first be to contribute to the development of the business plan with a specific focus on product development cost and anticipation of product manufacturing costs. As the company grows, he/she will shape all operations of the company including manufacturing, procurement, quality assurance.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- By joining forces with IMEC and VIB, finetune business plan for investment and set-up of the company allowing a smooth transition into a corporate venture
- Together with the scientific teams at IMEC and VIB, manage the translation for user requirements into product specifications and organizing the product development roadmap
- Participate in hiring key resources to build a high performing and ambitious team.
- Make sure the full supply chain is implemented towards delivery of the end-product
- Define the design and production process in such a way that each step’s quality is verifiable, and each step can be transferred to production partners.
- Negotiate the contracts and maintain the relationships with industrial partners
- Ensure proper quality assurance and quality management
- Define and maintain the operations to implement the company strategy, steering the successful development of novel devices
- Build a culture of continuous improvement
- Tightly manage COGS through cost control, material usage efficiency, labor utilization and quality performance
- Provide constructive leadership to direct reports and with stakeholders across the team
- Plan and administer procedures and budgets
Our ideal candidate has experience in life science device manufacturing, prototype design and overall company operations and procedures, and the ability to work in a flat organizational structure as a peer/coach to other team members.
Besides this, we value
- A master’s degree in Life Science Engineering or equivalent, a PhD is a nice to have.
- Proven experience as enthusiastic, entrepreneurial COO or similar relevant leadership role.
- Willingness to put your shoulders under this new venture, knowing the risks of a start-up.
- A strong interest in bridging engineering and life science.
- A strong interest in life science research tools and solutions.
- Having a start-up mentality and love to working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment where multiple projects and priorities are executed simultaneously.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills, with a great ability to work under pressure.
- Strong drive for results and milestone achievement.
- A strong customer-oriented approach combined with product life cost efficiency.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to close deals with big players.
- Self-motivation, flexibility, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A C-level team player with excellent people management skills inspiring high performance and enthusiasm of the team.
- Excellence in relationship building and networking and proven conflict resolution abilities.
- Consultative interactions with key opinion leaders, potential stakeholders, manufacturing sites and other stakeholders.
- Strong presentation/communication skills.
- Fluent in English.
- Willingness to relocate to Belgium.
With the right background and the right mindset, this is a unique opportunity to join and shape a breakthrough venture in life science launched by two leading research institutions from its very creation!
You can build a dynamic team to make this spin-off a success. With your entrepreneurial, technical and managerial talents, you will have a huge impact on the achievements of this new venture.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.