About VIB Discovery Sciences
VIB is an international Life Sciences research institute based in Flanders, Belgium. VIB has a long standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful innovations in pharmaceutical and agricultural industries. To support this process, VIB established VIB Discovery Sciences, a unit focused on translational research projects and embedded in the VIB Innovation and Business team. Our team comprises industry-trained scientists, project leaders, and research technicians, who work closely with VIB’s academic research labs and core facilities, as well as external partners, towards translation of scientific results into applications.
We are looking for a research technician to join our Agro discovery team, based on the technology park in the Ghent campus.
- Design, validate, and troubleshoot assays
- Plan and perform experiments with minimal supervision
- Support/conduct data analysis and visualisation, produce data reports using electronic lab notebook, discuss results, and elaborate next steps together
- Take initiative to improve pipelines where necessary
- Operational role: support logistics and product ordering, equipment maintenance, stocks management…
- Professional bachelor/master in (Plant) Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or equivalent
- Interest in application-oriented research
- Expertise in plant-based work is a must: phenotyping, in vitro and in soil growth, physiological assays
- Experience in one or more of the following is a plus: cloning, biochemical assays, protein expression and purification, automated liquid handling, compound registry databases
The ideal candidate:
- Is committed, self-motivated, and proactive
- Thrives in a small team environment with short communication lines, where initiative and flexibility are key
- Has experience in lab management (purchasing, maintenance, ELN, databases…)
- Is willing to learn new techniques and take over responsibilities
- Has strong communication skills and a good command of oral and written English
- An open-ended contract in a dynamic, international environment
- A competitive compensation package
Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Submit your application online. Please be sure to include your CV, cover letter, and 2 references.