The Switch Laboratory is part of the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research at the University of Leuven (Belgium), which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities.
The research of the Switch Laboratory investigates protein aggregation in disease in an endeavor to advance biological science via a combined approach of computational modeling and biophysical and cell biological experimentation.
We are looking for a lab technician to join a team of post docs and PhD students to provide hands-on support in our established protein purification pipeline. The successful candidate will be responsible for the full workflow in generating high purity protein samples and performing basic biophysical analysis as part of our quality control process.
- You possess at the minimum a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master/Engineer) or equivalent.
- Experience with purification of recombinant proteins from e.coli is essential.
- You should have experience with general molecular biology techniques including preparation of buffers, SDS PAGE, Western blotting.
- Experience with protein chromatography and biophysical analysis are advantageous
- You must be able to accurately compile and document your work, and help in the interpretation of results.
- You must be meticulous, self-motivated and independent, whilst being able to interact effectively with other members of the research team.
- You are proficient in written and spoken English.
- Transformation of expression plasmids to bacterial cells
- Large scale bacterial cultures for protein expression
- Protein purification via chromatography (SEC, IEX, Affinity)
- Protein gels and western blots
- Biophysical analysis of purified proteins including SEC-MALS, DLS, FTIR, thermal denaturation among others
- Documentation of results in standardized format
- Liaison with team members and internal presentation of results
- Maintenance of supplies and stocks for protein purification
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure
- A stimulating international research environment
- Competitive salary and benefits
- The position is initially for 12 months with the possibility of extension
Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
VIB’s research teams have a very international character (40 different nationalities in our Center), therefore we ask you to apply in English. Please use the VIB HR Application tool. Applications by email will not be considered.
For more information: