VIB is hiring a Research Data Specialist to coordinate the efforts of harmonizing data formatting and the data life cycle as well as to assure reusability and access to its research data. The specialist will play a key role in unlocking important research data for meta-analysis, re-use and opening them up to the wider research community in the context of developments of Open Science.
This involves assisting the researchers with formulation of data management plans, use of domain-specific standards for data and metadata description as well as preparing for deposition of data in public repositories, coordinated with development of a VIB-wide infrastructure for research data sharing.
The position will be based at the VIB HQ in Ghent will be embeded in the ICT Research Data team and reporting to the RDM Taskforce but regular commuting is required to work at the various VIB Centers in Flanders. Furthermore, we closely interact with other national and international initiatives e.g. ELIXIR.
VIB greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
- Educate the VIB research community regarding making their research data FAIR.
- Lead the activities necessary for the implementation of FAIR data principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable).
- Provide guidance to the research data owners regarding data management plans, data and metadata description and deposition in public repositories.
- Responsibility to designing, scoping and maintaining consortium research applications.
- Chart and select suitable domain-specific research data standards and maintain their documentation.
- Develop a data quality plan and data management plan in coordination with (clinical) study investigators.
- Responsible to designing and maintaining code to extract and report from relational databases (including electronic medical records) – all with strict attention to security.
- Responsible for the use of Electronic Data Capturing (EDC) systems, including the responsibility to supporting the teams in reviewing eCRF data for completeness, accuracy, and consistency via computerized edits and manual data checks
- Establish relationships with national and international initiatives related to Research Data Management.
- Professional Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in bio-informatics, computational biology, computer science
- Background in biology and biomedical sciences
- Excellent understanding of data administration and data management functions (collection, analysis, reviewing, distribution, export, reporting etc.): secure, single site or multicenter
- Good understanding of database programming and data backup systems
- Expertise in designing databases, managing and cleaning data from multiple sites for large data analyses
- Experience in data querying & data resolution workflows
- Experience with preparing data for submission to senior statistician and Pl for reports and publications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software suite
- Hands-on experience in a Linux/Unix environment and with scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Knowledge about various omics data sets like NGS, proteomics or metabolomics is an asset
- Data safety monitoring and reporting experience is an asset
- Understanding of Electronic Data Capturing Systems is an asset
- Good understanding of health data, knowledge of electronics Case Reporting Forms (eCRF) design is an asset
- Good organizational, administrative and communicative skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Team oriented
- Fluency in spoken and written Dutch and English
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a large team of investigators and stakeholders
How to apply?
For more information please contact Rinaldo Beck.
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.