About the Lab
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven, which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities. At our Center, researchers study the cellular mechanisms of health and disease in the central nervous system.
Dr. Sandrine Da Cruz, has recently started a new lab as Group Leader within the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research and as Professor in the Department of Neurosciences at the University of Leuven in Belgium. Her research group focuses on investigating disease mechanisms and novel therapeutic approaches for devastating neurological disorders including ALS and frontotemporal dementia (FTD), the second most common dementia.
To unravel the yet poorly understood mechanisms underlying neurodegeneration, the laboratory uses a combination of sophisticated mouse models (previously established in Da Cruz lab), cutting edge stem cell and genome editing approaches to model in vitro human neurological disorders including ALS and FTD.
We are seeking highly motivated, creative and collaborative applicants with strong background and interest in neurodegeneration and deep experience in cell culture, genome editing and microscopy techniques to advance our studies on the molecular mechanisms underlying muscle denervation and axonal degeneration. Elucidating these mechanisms is critical to our understanding of the disorder and key to the development of novel therapeutic approaches.
- PhD in Neurobiology (molecular, cellular), Life Sciences or related disciplines
- A solid publication record with first-author research publication(s) in peer-reviewed international journals
- Team player
- Strong ability to work in a multidisciplinary research team
- Prior experience with mouse models is a plus.
- A versatile and challenging job with very diverse contacts in a world-class research environment operating at an international level, and various opportunities to broaden your expertise
- State of the art research facilities
- A competitive compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Financial support is available for at least 2 years. However, the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain a personal fellowship (Marie-Curie, HFSP, EMBO, or National funding organizations).
Starting Date: October 2020
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool.
Additional required information:
- Cover letter
- Detailed CV
- Contact details for three references
For more information, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about the Lab and the Center: