The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB, www.psb.vib-ugent.be) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics and computational biology to unravel the biology of plants and to use the potential of plants to build a sustainable world. The Maere lab at PSB (http://www.psb.vib-ugent.be/esb) is looking for a talented and highly motivated postdoc to work on a challenging project in collaboration with Inari Agriculture Inc. and co-funded by VLAIO. We offer a 3-year postdoc position starting in September 2020.
The Maere lab at PSB is active in the fields of computational and evolutionary biology and plant systems biology. Current research topics include testing a novel experimental setup to unravel the molecular wiring of plant phenotypes under field conditions, studying dosage balance-sensitive genes in plants, and modeling the evolution of transcriptional systems in silico.
Inari is a young and fast-growing company that aims to transform plant breeding and contribute to a transparent agriculture system that is climate resilient, respectful of the environment, empowers farmers, and can continue to feed the growing global population.
In recent years, the Maere lab has developed methodology to predict plant phenotypes based on -omics data generated on individual plants, see https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.04.06.027300. In the current project, we will use this single-plant -omics setup to reverse engineer complex traits in maize. Your work will be focused on algorithm development and data analysis. One of our aims is to go beyond correlational analyses for associating genes to traits and to develop more causal inference methods instead. Candidate causal genes will be fed into a proprietary validation pipeline at Inari.
- You have a PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics or Biological Engineering. Candidates with a PhD in Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or Computer Science and extensive experience in molecular biology data analysis will also be considered.
- You are an expert in machine learning and analyzing -omics data.
- Experience with causal modeling techniques is a plus.
- You have a passion for science.
- You have an outstanding publication record in peer-reviewed international journals.
- You found a good balance between working in a team and working independently.
- You are fluent in English (spoken and written), R, Python, and preferably several other programming languages.
- You are meticulous, well-organized, responsible and self-critical.
- You take pride in delivering high-quality work.
- You can think outside the box.
- An exciting work environment in a top research institute.
- The opportunity to be part of a dynamic, interdisciplinary and international team between academy and industry.
- A challenging project in a competitive field of science.
- An attractive salary that will be based on previous experience and skills.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Please e-mail your CV, a letter of motivation and the contact details of two referees. For more information please contact Steven Maere (email@example.com). Applications are accepted until the position is filled.