VIB is an independent research institute where some 1,800 scientists and support staff from Belgium and abroad conduct pioneering basic research in life sciences. VIB’s Innovation & Business team translates research results into concrete benefits for society, such as new diagnostics and therapies and agricultural innovations.
VIB also engages actively in the public debate on biotechnology by developing and disseminating a wide range of science-based information. To strengthen our communication team, we are looking for a young and dynamic candidate who is passionate about communicating life sciences to a variety of audiences and by means of different media.
Web and Digital Content Specialist
As our Web and Digital Content Specialist, you will play a key role in improving VIB’s online presence. You will create day-to-day digital content addressing VIB’s diverse target audiences for a variety of channels, including web content, e-mails, newsletters, blogs, social media posts, etc. You will work closely with the colleagues from the communications team and from the research centers to ensure a consistent tone of voice across all communication channels.
- You coordinate VIB’s website, intranet, social media channels and other (digital) projects across the institute
- You develop and implement strategies to grow VIB’s online communities and engage members in a way that stimulates loyalty
- You turn existing texts into engaging content tailored to the target audiences and channels
- You work closely with all VIB stakeholders within headquarters, the research centers and core facilities to collect information and input and ensure that all web content is up to date and accurate
- You have an eye for detail and perform on-going quality control to ensure that all copy, imagery and messages are of a high quality
- You know how to interpret Google Analytics data and implement SEO to generate more traffic
- You monitor VIB’s online presence and prepare/present status reports
- You have a master’s degree in Biotechnology, Biology, Bioengineering or equivalent; alternatively you have a master's degree in Communication Management or Journalism with proven work experience in a life sciences environment
- A keen interest in and affinity with life sciences and biotechnology is a must
- Highly organized, with the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- An excellent writer and editor, with good spelling and grammar (Dutch or English mother tongue)
- Able to research, collate and summarize information from different sources and rewrite content in function of the various stakeholders (academic, life sciences industry, general public) for different media (online, print, etc.)
- Able to communicate confidently and clearly with a variety of stakeholders
- Experienced with one or more CMS (preferably Drupal)
- Willing to stay up to date with developments the digital world
- Capable of working autonomously as well as in a team
- Being part of the science communications team means that you will be working in a stimulating environment with enthusiastic colleagues and many different stakeholders. A varied and exciting job in a dynamic, innovative and international life sciences institute.
- Full time position with an open-ended contract
- Salary according to your experience, with several additional benefits
- Place of employment: Ghent
How to apply?
Motivated candidates have to apply though our online recruiting system.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
A first selection will be done based on your CV and motivation letter. The selected candidates will need to do a written test.
For more information, please contact Katrina Wright by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone 09/244 66 11.