Passionate about life sciences? Eager to work with world class scientists, serial and first time entrepreneurs and investors to build promising novel ventures based on groundbreaking science from within VIB? Then you're the colleague we're looking for!
VIB is an excellence-based entrepreneurial research institute in life sciences that focuses on excellence in basic science and translating basic scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB’s Innovation & Business team currently manages a portfolio of +250 patent families and looks for lucrative partnering deals with industry in a very pro-active and creative way. VIB is also firmly rooted in a long-standing tradition of setting up start-up companies. Since its foundation in 1996, VIB has created >25 start-up companies. VIB is funded by the Flemish government and works in close partnership with five Flemish universities – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Hasselt University. The link between basic research and valorisation has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
VIB’s Innovation & Business team consists of industry trained IP, business development and new venture professionals supported by a highly skilled administrative and paralegal team. The team is highly complementary and works closely together to create value out of the scientific inventions from the institute. To further strengthen and expand its activities, VIB is seeking a new venture manager to join the team.
We are looking for a highly motivated pro-active colleague of proven maturity in a professional environment and a strong scientific background in life sciences, to help drive the academia to venture transition for VIB scientific innovations. You will work closely together with scientists, entrepreneurs, IP specialists, legal counsel and investors.
Specifically, the tasks at hand consist of:
- Identifying opportunities for novel venture creation based on research conducted by the VIB PIs.
- Familiarize yourself with the scientific subject matter
- Coordinate and lead incubating start-up projects from start till incorporation including
- analyse patent portfolio, do competitive analysis/landscaping, identify differentiators and USP
- Identify key proof of concept data minimally required to show potential of the invention
- Coordinate scientific projects to create sufficient proof of concept data in collaboration and discussion with the scientists
- work out business plans
- Generate pitch decks for fundraising
- Identify future management teams
- Coordinate fundraising activities with future management and scientists
- Negotiate investment term sheet and all financing documents on behalf of VIB
- Expand VIB’s investor network
- PhD in life sciences and experience in life sciences research
- Have an interest in diverse life science topics
- Have a basic understanding of intellectual property and patents
- Experience in a corporate environment, preferentially biotech
- Experience in business development or IP management is a plus
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, Dutch language proficiency is a plus
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to motivate and work with others in a highly collaborative environment
- Entrepreneurial and hands-on mentality
- Enthusiasm and energy (the “fun” factor )
- Resilient and capable to adapt to changing situations
- A professional and stimulating working environment
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply online. Deadline for application: 1 September 2020.
Important note: due to the holiday period, feedback on your application will be provided only after 15 August 2020.