The Laboratory of Neurobiology is part of the research group Experimental Neurology (Neuroscience Department) at KU Leuven. The group has a close collaboration with the Neurology Department of the University Hospitals Leuven with about 50 researchers in different domains.
In addition, the laboratory is one of the research groups of the VIB Center for Brain & Disease Research (CBD) at KU Leuven/ Campus Gasthuisberg focusing on Neuroscience. There are 18 research groups within the CBD with a total employment of more than 300 researchers (38 different nationalities).
The Laboratory of Neurobiology focusses on clinical and fundamental research into the prevention, heredity, the pathogenesis and treatment of neurodegenerative disorders such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), frontotemporal dementia (FTD), Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT) and other peripheral neuropathies.
We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic lab technician who will be involved in a research project which will be performed in close collaboration with an industrial partner. The goal of this project is to obtain better insights into the exact working mechanism of a therapeutic strategy that is currently being developed in the context of peripheral neuropathies. In addition, both cell culture and animal models for these diseases will be treated with novel compounds and the effect of these treatments will be evaluated over time.
In this research project, the focus will be mainly on:
- Cell cultures (cell lines as well as iPSC-derived neurons) ;
- Evaluating the effect of treatments on different cellular mechanisms (e.g. proteostatsis, oxidative stress, axonal outgrowth,…) ;
- Correction and induction of genetic modifications (e.g. using CRISPR/Cas9) ;
- Treatment of animal models for peripheral neuropathies ;
- Evaluation of the therapeutic effects of treatments
Following techniques are also used:
- Protein Biochemistry (protein purification, Western blot, immunoprecipitation);
- Functional testing of different cellular functions
- Treating and behavioral testing of animals
- You possess at least a degree in Biomedical or Biological Sciences (Professional Bachelor/Master) or equivalent.
- You have some experience working with cell cultures.
- Experience with immunocytochemistry and a FELASA B license is a plus, however not required.
- You demonstrate team spirit, responsibility, motivation and patience.
- You are result-oriented, independent and able to interact well with other members of the research team.
- You like to work in an interdisciplinary environment and have strong communication skills.
- You are flexible and stress resistant.
- Good English skills - both oral and written - are essential in our international research group.
We offer a full-time contract of 1 year in an enthusiastic and motivated team in a dynamic scientific work environment with access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and an intensive training related to the experiments that will need to be performed. Contract renewal is dependent on a positive evaluation and available funding.
Start date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
For additional information concerning this job offer, please contact Annelies Thuriot (email@example.com)
Our website: http://gbiomed.kuleuven.be/labofneurobiology