The Vanderhaeghen Lab (Stem Cell and Developmental Neurobiology Lab https://pvdhlab.org ) at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research (http://cbd.vib.be), is seeking a creative postdoctoral scientist to study the development and function of human cortical neurons transplanted in the mouse brain following cortical injury.
This highly multidisciplinary project will combine cutting-edge approaches including human pluripotent stem cell technology, mouse brain transplantation in models of injury, and cellular and functional analyses of the transplanted neurons and host circuits.
This project builds up on previous work of the host laboratory (Linaro Neuron 2019; Espuny-Camacho Cell Reports 2018; Michelsen Neuron 2015) to explore in an innovative way the rational design of brain repair targeting the neocortex. It will be undertaken in active collaboration with the Vision-to-Action Laboratory (Vincent Bonin, PI) at Neuro-Electronics Research Flanders in Leuven, Belgium, (NERF, www.nerf.be).
Selected references from the host lab.
Iwata et al.Science (2020) 369: 858-862.
Linaro et al. Neuron (2019) 104: 972–986.
Espuny-Camacho et al., Cell Reports (2018) 23:2732-2743.
Espuny-Camacho et al., Neuron (2017) 93:1066-1081.
Michelsen et al., Neuron (2015) 85:982-97.
- We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a strong expertise and interest in neuronal development, circuit function and/or assembly, and experimental models of brain repair.
- PhD in neuroscience, biology or related field.
- Strong experience in neuronal cell biology, brain transplantation, or methods to investigate cortical circuit function are required.
- Creative, enthusiastic, critically thinking, enjoying teamwork and excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Molecular biology, systems, cognitive or behavioral neuroscience experience are a plus but not a requirement.
- A versatile and challenging academic position with very diverse contacts in a world-class research environment operating at an international level, and various opportunities to broaden your expertise
- A competitive compensation package based on expertise and experience
Starting Date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
For more information contact: Pierre Vanderhaeghen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV incl. list of publications, a motivation letter, and the contact information of three referees.