The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology (CMN, Belgium) is searching for a full-time omics DATA MANAGER to support staff in sourcing, maintaining and using publicly available as well as internal patient, sample and omics data in the context of neurodegenerative/ neurodevelopmental research.
The research groups at the center address a broad set of questions related to neurodegenerative brain diseases and peripheral neuropathies, with an emphasis on understanding the genetic etiology and developing diagnostics and treatment methods for these diseases. Approaches range from human genetics and genomics to protein biochemistry and neuronal cell biology, while models include yeast, fly, mouse and pluripotent human cell systems.
As our omics data manager, you will work closely with all CMN PIs. You will be responsible for maintaining and supporting our internal as well as externally acquired patient, sample and associated genomics, transcriptomics and other ‘-omics’ datasets. You will be responsible to acquire specific publicly available datasets and process them using in-house pipelines. You will also provide support for our internal databases and analysis pipelines.
You will be working within the Neuromics Support Facility, a centralized team supporting research activities with their expertise in sequencing, bioinformatics, and imaging (sequencing, data management, analysis,) internally and externally.
- Consulting with our research groups to get to know different needs
- Scanning publicly available datasets and sourcing the appropriate one for research in the center
- Preparing documentation for accessing the publicly available datasets, maintaining the resource and ‘linking it’ to the in-house used system
- Providing support for our internal LIMS, biobanking and analysis pipelines
- Running the pipelines for unifying datasets to be used in HT fashion
- Should have a BSc or MSc or equivalent, in life sciences
- Should have interest in and aptitude for IT, especially in data management and use of complex software. Previous experience working in a Linux environment and/or data management is a plus
- Should have basic knowledge of different life science datasets, previous experience with larger sequencing (or other datasets) datasets is a plus (sourcing, identifying, using).
- Should be passionate about working with large datasets and understand the importance of publicly available assets in scientific research.
- Should have attention to detail, knowledge about data protection rules and other regulatory rules and directives with regards to biological data is a plus
- Should be motivated and independent, while being able to interact effectively with other members of the different research groups
- Should have good verbal and written communication skills in English; Dutch language proficiency is a plus
- Should be a team player with good time management, communication and organizational skills
- A new and challenging job in an interesting environment
- A competitive compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Open-ended contract
The starting date is as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing your interests, and contact details of referees (if available).
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about our research center https://uantwerpen.vib.be/
Applications are welcome until the position is filled