ELIXIR is the European life-sciences infrastructure for biological information. ELIXIR brings together bioinformatics tools, resources, and experts into a distributed infrastructure that enables researchers across Europe to share and analyze their life-science research data.
ELIXIR Belgium was established in 2016 and has since then grown substantially. One of the key objectives of the Belgian ELIXIR Node is to build data management and data analysis infrastructure for life-sciences. As such, we aim to provide tailored solutions to enable life sciences researchers to focus on their research question, rather than technical details of data, interoperability, compute resources…. The ELIXIR Belgium research data management and data analysis teams work in close collaboration with international partners involved in ELIXIR, the H2020 ELIXIR-CONVERGE and EOSC-Life projects, and the Galaxy project. Our activities are aligned with initiatives in life-sciences in the context of FAIR data and the European Open Science Cloud.
ELIXIR Belgium also offers specialized bioinformatics resources accelerating research in life sciences. These include databases, data resources, tools, workflows, …that have applications in plant sciences, human health, and proteomics. We aim to extend the functionality and compatibility of these resources developed by different Belgian research groups.
ELIXIR Belgium supports COVID-19 research with several initiatives. We promote and encourage the publication of scientific data related to the pandemic and provide the tools, know-how, and brokering services for researchers to do so. More information can be found in our Data Management Hub.
Our diverse and multiple activities require efficient and clear communication and sustainable outreach towards the life sciences community. To accomplish this, we are looking for a motivated candidate to strengthen our team. As a Communications and Community Outreach Officer, you
- will be responsible for the development of communications materials, including newsletters, website content, and social media posts,
- will maintain digital media archives including videos and presentations,
- will organize meetings to ensure good operation of the Node,
- will be involved in the exploration and implementation of impact assessment of the Node,
- will be in close contact with the ELIXIR Belgium community to stay up to date on ongoing activities,
- will work closely with the ELIXIR Belgium team, more specifically with the Node coordinator and project managers
- Bachelor or Master in bioinformatics, (bio)engineering, biotechnology or equivalent
- Possess excellent writing skills and be able to compose engaging and accurate content
- Understand the best practices of social media channels as Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Able to think strategically and identify ways to improve communication efforts
- Capable to meet deadlines and manage priorities to handle a diverse workload
- Fluent in English, with good communication skills
- Able to work both independently as well as in a team
Desirable but not required
- Experience in a communications role is an asset
- Knowledge of open science and open data and its terminology is considered an advantage
- A full-time position for 2 years initially. This is part of the long-term strategy for funding research infrastructures in Flanders, therefore prolongation is envisaged pending the successful renewal of the national project
- Participation in the building of a future-proof, user-friendly ecosystem of platforms for data analysis open to all researchers, at the forefront of the developments in the European Open Science Cloud
- An exciting international environment, engaging with the large life-sciences network across Europe of ELIXIR
- The workplace is the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (Ghent, Belgium)
About the institute and research infrastructure
The ELIXIR consortium (https://www.elixir-europe.org) is a European research infrastructure that unites life-science research groups. It coordinates, integrates, and sustains bioinformatics resources from the different member states.
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB, https://www.psb.ugent.be) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics, phenotyping, and bio-computing to unravel the biology of plants and to further explore the potential of plants to build a sustainable world.
The bioinformatics research groups at PSB develop novel software and web tools for the integration of large-scale data sets in the area of genomics, transcriptomic, and phenomics for which an extensive computational infrastructure is available on site. PSB coordinates the Belgian ELIXIR Node, more information on https://www.elixir-belgium.org.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.