Join our team as a laboratory technician
The Weckhuysen Team is an international team of researchers belonging to the Applied & Translational Neurogenomics Group at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology (CMN) and focuses on discovery of novel genes and genetic mechanisms implicated in epilepsy.
We are looking for an enthusiastic lab technician who will join the team and provide hands on support in tasks related to cell culture and molecular biology.
As a laboratory technician in our team, you will perform single experiments and small projects under the guidance of senior scientists. Activities include:
- General molecular biology tasks: DNA and RNA analysis, cloning, etc.
- Cell culture maintenance, including iPSC
- Immunocyto- or immunohistochemistry
- Light, fluorescent, or confocal microscopy
- Data documentation in electronic format
- Maintenance of product databases and purchasing of materials
- Maintenance of general lab supplies
- Should have a bachelor’s degree in laboratory technology, neuroscience, molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, biomedicine, or related disciplines
- Should have an accurate work style and good organizational skills
- Should be motivated and independent, while being able to interact effectively with other members of the team.
- Should have good communication skills and like to work in a team
- Should be flexible and and willing to gain new expertise and knowledge
- Should have experience with general molecular biology techniques
- Should be fluent in written and spoken English
As part of the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology and VIB, the applicant will benefit from established collaborations and access to centralized facilities with expertise in genomics, functional genomics and cell biology, proteomics, cutting-edge microscopy, structural biology, technology development, and bioinformatics. You will be thoroughly trained in the techniques routinely used by our team, including iPSC cell culture and neuronal differentiation. Furthermore, VIB provides a highly interactive environment and ample training opportunities for its researchers.
- Part-time position (50%)
- Fixed-term contract for 3 years, until December 2024 = end of the project
- Competitive salary and benefits according to your level of education and experience
- Meal vouchers, eco vouchers, holiday pay and year-end bonus
- Bike allowance or reimbursement of expenses for public transport
- Group insurance
Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?Please complete the online application procedure and be sure to include:
- a detailed CV
- a letter of motivation describing your interests
- the names and contact details of 1 or 2 references (if available).